Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Ordering rollout configurations

Level 2

Since the 6.4 upgrade, rollout configs moved from /etc to various locations (/libs, /apps).  Before, we could set the order by reordering them in the miscadmin tools interface in Classic.  This would control the order that the rollout configs applied to a rollout, when multiple configs were added to a page.

Now that they are spread out, how are we to manage the order?  Does it matter the order they exist in the JCR anymore?  

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi @jeff_foxx,

yes, since the 6.4 upgrade sites repository re-structuring has been made. More details on https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-64/deploying/restructuring/sites-reposito...

Capture.JPG

In regards to managing the order, you can keep the order as such as they exist in the JCR before under /etc folder. Just need to migrate the rollout configs to the new locations which are now:

/libs/msm/wcm/rolloutconfigs

/apps/msm/wcm/rolloutconfigs

Thanks!!

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Community Advisor

Firstly

Apps/msm --> is is blueprint configs

libs/msm --> is for rollout configs

/etc/*msm --> is the legacy path.

Now when it comes to rollout config drop down, which shows in the blueprint tab of content page --> it will pick all the configs from /libs/msm/*. Here you cannot control the order of the elements in the dropdown unless by overlaying , which is not recommended.

When it comes to multiple rollout configs on the page ,depends on the order on how it is there is jcr:content . Order is as per the order in which rollout configs are added on the multifield.

Level 2

Thanks for the reply, Sundeep. Unfortunately, I don't think the information you have provided is accurate. The /apps area is for any custom config that doesn't come as part of the core AEM install, whether that is blueprint or rollout configs.

See https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-64/developing/extending-aem/extending-msm...

/apps/msm/<your-project>/rolloutconfigs

Employee Advisor

Hi @jeff_foxx  

Yes the rollout configs could be ordered. If you noticed, there's a sling:OrderedFolder node "orderlist" under "/libs/msm" which is actually driving the order in which these configs will be listed in the dropdown (same as the order of nodes under orderlist). All the other rollout configs which are not under "orderlist" will be listed out in the end.

So to control the order, create an overlay of /libs/msm/orderlist under /apps/msm and add the nodes for each rollout config under this node as per the order you want (each node will have a "path" property for the rollout config reference). Any config that exists under /libs or /apps but not listed under "orderlist" will appear at the end of the list in the dropdown.

Employee Advisor
@jeff_foxx - With orderlist, you would be able to mange the display order for /libs configs too if you have a node (e.g. default) in /apps/msm/orderlist pointing to libs config

Level 2
OK. So I know the orderlist controls the order that the config appears in the dropdown. But are you saying it also controls the order the configs are executed on a rollout trigger?

Employee Advisor
The order of selection would determine the order of trigger and the dropdown list order would help in selecting in the intended order.

Level 1

I ran into this issue.

So, the JCR would retain the order of rollouts that I configured when setting up a live-copy, but anytime I would reload the page properties, the rollout configs would go back to displaying the Default rollout first, even though my custom rollouts were stored before Default within the cq:rolloutConfigs String[] property.

It wasn't until I overlayed /apps/msm/orderlist with my custom rollouts and OOTB rollouts, did I get the expected functionality of my PageMoveAction rollout triggering before the Default rollout.

I don't know why Adobe would want to use a static sling:OrderedFolder to drive the order of functionality that was previously determined by the order of values in a String[] property.

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi @jeff_foxx,

yes, since the 6.4 upgrade sites repository re-structuring has been made. More details on https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-64/deploying/restructuring/sites-reposito...

Capture.JPG

In regards to managing the order, you can keep the order as such as they exist in the JCR before under /etc folder. Just need to migrate the rollout configs to the new locations which are now:

/libs/msm/wcm/rolloutconfigs

/apps/msm/wcm/rolloutconfigs

Thanks!!

Level 2
But if the order is simply the order it appears, does that mean that all rollout configs in /apps will always run before the ones in /libs? What if we need one in /libs to run prior to on in /apps? For instance the default standard rollout config used to be first in our order always.

Level 3

Hi @jeff_foxx, not sure if you're still looking for a solution as this is a little older post, but I tried the overlay option as @shelly-goel suggested and it worked for me. Once you overlay in /apps/msm/orderlist you may have to go back into the parent page blueprint and save the page again, and the new order should take place then.