Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

OOTB Audit nodes under /var

Level 4

Hi,

I see lot of audit nodes created under /var such as /var/audit/com.day.cq.wcm.core.page, /var/audit/com.day.cq.replication, /var/audit/com.day.cq.dam. As the application usage increases, day by day, the number of nodes created under these nodes is increasing and is adding to the repository size overall.

So wanted to check if we can clean up these nodes or is there any way to automatically clean up these nodes OOTB ?

Also, will there be any implications in cleaning up these nodes ?

Regards,

Ashwin Raju

6 Replies

Level 5

Ashwin Raju wrote...

Hi,

I see lot of audit nodes created under /var such as /var/audit/com.day.cq.wcm.core.page, /var/audit/com.day.cq.replication, /var/audit/com.day.cq.dam. As the application usage increases, day by day, the number of nodes created under these nodes is increasing and is adding to the repository size overall.

So wanted to check if we can clean up these nodes or is there any way to automatically clean up these nodes OOTB ?

Also, will there be any implications in cleaning up these nodes ?

Regards,

Ashwin Raju

You need to check version purge tool or set Version Manager configuration for explicitly purging old version.

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/deploy/configuring/version-purging.html#Purge Versions Tool

Level 4

Hi Sandeep,

I believe the version is stored under /jcr:system/jcr:versionStorage and all OOTB audit information is stored under /var/audit for many events. The Version Purge won't help here I believe.

Regards,

Ashwin Raju

Level 4

Audit logs needs to be cleaned on regular basis to maintain the repository at an optimal size.Use osgi configuration at “Audit log purge scheduler” to configure automatic audit log purging.

Level 4

Sh1ju wrote...

Audit logs needs to be cleaned on regular basis to maintain the repository at an optimal size.Use osgi configuration at “Audit log purge scheduler” to configure automatic audit log purging.

Hi Shiju,

I tried configuring the same but it did not remove the audit nodes. PFB the details. I'm using AEM 6.1 with SP2.

Regards, 

Ashwin Raju

Level 4

UPDATE : I now see the nodes purged per the configuration. But wanted to know the timing of this scheduler. Is it running once per week since I saw it not purging after a day or two.

Level 2

Hi Ashwin,

If your repository is being accessed heavily there is no wonder in an increase of size in /var/audit/* .

There are 2 options here:

1. You can add audit purge to daily activity and keep your repository intact.

2. You can configure in such a way that you are only saving a few days worth of audit rather than 90-120 days worth of data in you weekly maintenance configurations.

Thanks

Sid