Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Online/Offline Compaction : AEM 6.3

Level 8

Hi All,

I need to understand the process of online/offline compaction. Found the below link. It says something like Revision cleanup. Is that the same as online/offline compaction.

Revision Cleanup

Any thoughts on this will be helpful.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

Yes its the same. Infact its compaction is one of the phases of maintaining the repository.

The mechanism will reclaim disk space by removing obsolete data from the repository, and has three phases: estimation, compaction, cleanup. In the past the revision cleanup was often referenced as compaction.

Refer to these articles:

Storage Elements in AEM 6.2

Revision Cleanup

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 3

Previously, the term "revision cleanup", basically was compaction. The terminology has changed and compaction is now a part of the revision cleanup process. It says this in the documentation for AEM 6.3:

The revision cleanup process consists of three phases: estimation, compaction and clean up. Estimation determines whether to run the next phase (compaction) or not based on how much garbage might be collected. During the compaction phase segments and tar files are rewritten leaving out any unused content. The clean up phase subsequently removes the old segments including any garbage they may contain.

Correct answer by
Level 8

Yes its the same. Infact its compaction is one of the phases of maintaining the repository.

The mechanism will reclaim disk space by removing obsolete data from the repository, and has three phases: estimation, compaction, cleanup. In the past the revision cleanup was often referenced as compaction.

Refer to these articles:

Storage Elements in AEM 6.2

Revision Cleanup

Level 3

Any ways to disable this in AEM 6.3? We have come across this blog post when solving inconsistency in AEM publish instance segment store.

Possible reason is missing Repository service. Check AuthenticationSupport dependencies |

And we were able to get the server up and running after following the steps outlined. However, one thing that we couldn't execute was disabling the online compaction using the below step, specifically the first highlighted line.

Solution: Permanently switch off online compaction from here, go to following node in crxde-

/libs/granite/operations/config/maintenance/granite:daily/granite:RevisionGC

– And update the value of runmode to ‘crx3-disabled’ from ‘crx3’

If it gets curropted we can follwing these steps to get this up:

We are not facing this problem in other environments. But one or two this is being a problem for us. Is Online Compaction stable in 6.3? Cause, the blog was not targeting AEM 6.3 and AFAIK online compaction is much recommended for 6.3.

Level 3

Thanks Hemant.

Can you please point me to same solution in 6.3 docs?

Level 2

I just deleted the task in one of our lab environments from the Daily Maintenance window under Operations -> Maintenance -> Daily Maintenance.  I'll know tomorrow whether it ran tomorrow  morning at 2:00 am.

Level 2

Removing the task from the daily maintenance did the trick.

Ned

Level 3

Thanks for your Time on this.

Removing the task from the maintenance would work for sure.

I am hoping to get this information through Adobe Docs or Adobe Internal Staff. We don't want to disable it unless if it stable. As per Adobe docs, Online Compaction in 6.3 is stable and recommended maintenance activity.