Expand my Community achievements bar.

Nested Components on Child Page Disappearing on Parent's Edit & Refresh - Inheritance/LiveCopy

Level 1

I wanted to ask about the expectation of nested components with LiveCopy/Blueprint configurations: 

I have a Blueprint (Parent) page that has a nested component structure like so: 

------- Component 1 (Parent)
-------------- Component 2 (Child 1)

Then I have a Livecopy Child Page that inherits from Parent and initially looks the same: 

Then on Child Page (Livecopy of Blueprint):
-------------- Component 2 (Child 1)

Then on the child page, I break inheritance of Component 2, delete it and copy from another page a 3rd Component to replace it, so it looks like this on the Child Page:
-------------- Placeholder Message for Child 2 that was Deleted
-------------- Component 3 (Child 2)

Now, I go back to the Parent page, and add a new component. However, if I return to the Child Page, and refresh the page - Component 3 is gone, but the new component is added.  Now my page structures looks like this: 
Parent page: 
-------------- Component 2 (Child 1 within Parent)
------- Component 4

Child Page:
-------------- Placeholder Message for Child 1 that was Deleted
------- Component 4

I'm wondering what the proper authoring experience should be. Is it suggested that the Parent Component (Component 1) should have inheritance broken on the Child Page before adding new child components? Or is there a specific way to configure our Blueprint/Livecopy to have this functionality?
5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

What does your Component 1 (Parent) component looks like? Is this a container component or a normal component?

Arun Patidar

Level 1

Hey there! So the code base has components that we use as 'containers' but only some of them have the 

cq:isContainer value set to true.  

Should I expect different behaviour based on this value? 

Thank you! 

Community Advisor

The container component(Parent1) should have a cq:isContainer property saved

cq:isContainer = {Boolean}true

Can you try with parsys same test cases, just make usre if we are missing here anything due to custom component or is it a OOTB behaviour/bug.

Arun Patidar

Level 1

@arunpatidar Hey there, I'm assuming by parsys, using the Layout Container would be sufficient (screenshot of what I'm referencing)? 

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 7.45.18 AM.png

This does yield a different result, where Component 3 remains on the Child page when adding Component 4 to the Parent page and refreshing Child page.   

Administrator

@breebobaggins Did you find the suggestion from @arunpatidar helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni