Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Need to reset page properties when copied page using siteadmin or sidekick or crxde

Level 2

Actually for this I have created event handler. Using page event modifications able to reset page properties. When we copy page, that time page event treated as "Page Created". But "Page Created" event triggered by 3 ways.

1. copy page 2. create new page 3. install new content using package manager

my requirement don't want to work for 3rd point(install new content using package manager)

Or any better approach for copy event.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

I don't think, that this is possible that easy. Because on a Sling or JCR event handle you only see the effect of the activity: a new page is being created. The only way to achieve this is to intercept the commands given on the UI (and disallow the use of CRXDE for authors!) and change the target page accordingly. You could this with a filter, which checks if this request is a relevant one you need to handle and then react accordingly.

But I think, that you take the wrong route. Is it possible to handle the occurrence of a duplicate on a certain property? Or maybe revisiting the whole requirement, as it looks a bit strange for me.

Jörg

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Level 10

Using an Event Handler for this use case is good idea.  From your requirement - you do not want this handler to fire when content is updated by package manager right?  

Employee Advisor

If you have to use event handler approach then one possible solution could be to create a special user for building and installing packages. This user should only be used only for installing packages and nothing else. And then in your event handler code you can check the value of for "jcr:createdBy" property. If it matches the user name of the package installation user then you can skip the reset logic.

Note - This solution will work but will require some governance as you are assuming that only a particular user account is used for installing packages. 

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

I don't think, that this is possible that easy. Because on a Sling or JCR event handle you only see the effect of the activity: a new page is being created. The only way to achieve this is to intercept the commands given on the UI (and disallow the use of CRXDE for authors!) and change the target page accordingly. You could this with a filter, which checks if this request is a relevant one you need to handle and then react accordingly.

But I think, that you take the wrong route. Is it possible to handle the occurrence of a duplicate on a certain property? Or maybe revisiting the whole requirement, as it looks a bit strange for me.

Jörg

Level 2

If it is particular user, we can do but in my project some specific group of users having all permissions. he can do installation , copy from site admin and side kick. That is the problem i am facing.

Level 2

yes. Please help me how to stop firing for package manager

Level 10

that is a good workaround given these requirements. 

Level 2

if we use filter, we can restrict certain paths but how can i trigger copy event.

Employee Advisor

Hi,

My approach is not to call anything directly, but rather hook in a request filter, which detects the various types of requests you're interested in. And when the request has been finished start some post-processing.

Jörg

Level 10

This is an interesting use case - how to differentiate when a page is created via the AEM UI (via copy or create a new one) VS Package Manager. I am sure a Package Manager will still fire the handler, but I am looking to see if there is a way to dynamically   determine if the page was created from a package being installed.

If there is a way to dynamically determine this - you can do this:

if ( was page updated from package)

do not update page props

else

update page props

Level 2

Yes I am also search on this logic but tried with different blogs and apis. No luck to determine that one.

Level 10

pretty interesting usecase !! but OOB, i dont think it exists today as all of these operations are operated based on the jcr events !

Level 10

One way could be to create a service which reset this page properties.

Now override OOTB copy functionality to make use of this service. You don't have to write full copy code again, rather make sure that this service method gets executes when copy operations performed. I feel there are very less chance that people will copy page using crxde, so implement this in sidekick and siteadmin.

Level 10

At the JCR level - AEM does not care how  the node was created. It fires when the node is changed or created - no matter how it created - as you know. 

I am still looking for the solution here. 

Level 2

how to make a call to service in siteadmin js or side kick js.