Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Need to know Use of default workflow avaliable in AEM 6.3

Level 6

Hi Team,

There are lot of OOTB workflow available in AEM Workflow.

If I need to know individually  what is use of  all the workflow models in AEM.

Is there any document releted to this or any git hub link is there for the same.

Kindly suggest how i can get those  information.

Regards

Manikantha R

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hello,

There isn't any documentation available yet for the OOTB workflows. I see there is an improvement request (CQ-4200768) to provide the auto-generated documentation for OOTB workflows.

For now, you can go to http://localhost:4509/libs/cq/workflow/content/console.html workflow console and study the flow chart of the workflow by clicking on each workflow.

Outdated doc: CQ 5.6 Out Of The Box Workflow Processes, and what they do/can be used for. | Content Management

Regards,

Vishu

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 6

Hi Hemant,

The link which you have shared how to create workflow.

I need what is use of OOTB workflow models any explanation

for Example dam update assets used when image is uploaded image renditions will takes places like that i need to understand what is use of other workflow models.

Regards

Manikantha R

Employee

Whatever you do, make a copy of the DAM Update Asset workflow and make changes to the copy if you're going to modify it. Then update the Workflow Launcher configuration to use your modified workflow.

As per best practices you should avoid directly modifying the OOTB workflow models.

It saves yourself pain while troubleshooting and avoids needless tickets in Daycare where one side A blames the product and the other side blames the changes to the workflow model and nobody in side A remembers changing the workflow model to begin with.

99.9% of the time workflow issues are on the implementer, and that rare 0.01% of the times it's usually some edge case with the product generally around some multi-dimensional layered asset that the renditions come out looking distorted or something.

What explanation to do you need for the workflow model? DAM Update Asset generally handles most asset upload use-cases. If you have specific file types you're trying to ingest you must modify the model and add in additional workflow steps to process RAW images, or use ImageMagick, use PDF Rasterizer. etc.  This particular workflow model is transient so not much data is persisted around the workflow's execution history.

This workflow model is responsible for generating renditions of assets, creating thumbnails, extracting metadata / exif data from the asset,  etc. Just look at each step they're generally pretty self explanatory.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hello,

There isn't any documentation available yet for the OOTB workflows. I see there is an improvement request (CQ-4200768) to provide the auto-generated documentation for OOTB workflows.

For now, you can go to http://localhost:4509/libs/cq/workflow/content/console.html workflow console and study the flow chart of the workflow by clicking on each workflow.

Outdated doc: CQ 5.6 Out Of The Box Workflow Processes, and what they do/can be used for. | Content Management

Regards,

Vishu