Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Multi country multi language with global site

Level 5

hi all, 

what would be the best approach to handle following requirement : We need to have one global website in English and multiple country specific web sites which could be multi language. All examples are showing country/lang specific organization but we could find approach which incorporates global website.

I guess for the beginning we should start with archtype, using singleCountry=n 

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Adobe Champion

Sure, you can absolutely do that.  Having the language-masters site(s) double as the global site(s) was just a recommended simplification, but if in your case it would be onerous for the global site to serve as the master then having it as a "child" site alongside all of the individual countries is absolutely fine.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Adobe Champion

Usually a website of a single country will be structured as such:

/content/mysite/language-masters
-> /en
-> /es

In the case of a global site you also have country-specific routes that are formatted the same way.

/content/mysite/us

-> /en

-> /es

/content/mysite/ca

-> /en

-> /fr

The sites with "language-masters" as the 3rd part of the path can serve as your "global" website, and you are ideally hiding the "/content/mysite/language-masters" portion of the path via your sling mappings and dispatcher configurations.

To serve the global sites, my general recommendation is to only do a live copy from the global English site (/content/mysite/language-masters/en) to all of the country-specific English sites (/content/mysite/<country>/en) and then use those to individually translate content.

Though it can be tempting to try to save translation costs by having a non-English version of the global site, and inherit Live Copies down to the various countries, in practice this can be very limiting since:

- Languages are often slightly different across countries - i.e. Candian French and France French are not the same.

- If you do this, you now need to author all localization (changes from the global content) in each language.

So my default recommendation for content is:

- Add new content to the global site at /content/mysite/language-masters/en

- Roll out new content down to all country-specific English sites (/content/mysite/<country>/en)

- Where necessary, localize content within each country-specific English site

- Translate the country-specific English sites to the different language sites within each country

That said, this is always nuanced, so let me know if business challenges prevent this from working in your situation.

Level 5

Thank you Brett,

You're saying, to serve the global site from :  /content/mysite/language-masters/en

Since language master is a blue print for other country sites as a live copy and any change to language master could reflect to country specific sites, could we think about the approach where global website is served from specific path (not under language master), like:

/content/mysite/global/

or in a case that we decide to have multi language global site:

/content/mysite/global

-> /en

-> /fr

and further, any country specific

/content/mysite/us

-> /en

-> /es

In this case we can make updates to global site without interfering with laguage-master portion, does this make any sense ?

Correct answer by
Adobe Champion

Sure, you can absolutely do that.  Having the language-masters site(s) double as the global site(s) was just a recommended simplification, but if in your case it would be onerous for the global site to serve as the master then having it as a "child" site alongside all of the individual countries is absolutely fine.