Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

MSM push on modify is inconsistent

Level 2

Hi,

We are using MSM for managing multiple regional websites, we have 9 websites in total with respect to blueprint and we are using "push on modify", "activate on blueprint activation", "deactivate on blueprint deactivation". push on modify is very inconsistent over the pages, some times it sync with some of child pages and some times it doesn't(I am trying over same page again and again). We are using OOTB rollout configs. 

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Unrelated to your issue: I consider "push on modify" dangerous, because it can lead to a lot of rollouts, plus its associated overhead and performance impact.

That means especially if follow some strict authoring process, where changes on the blueprint are made, reviewed and eventually published, you have the overhead of rolling out any change on the blueprint to 9 live copies.  Even if you would need that rollout only once after all changes have been approved.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Given your description, it might be related to the issue discussed in my blog post on resyncing a live copy language root to a blueprint.

Here are some steps and considerations that might help resolve your issue:

Potential Issue: Missing cq:LiveSyncConfig Node Configuration

One common cause for the inconsistency in the synchronization is the missing or misconfigured cq:LiveSyncConfig node. This node is crucial for managing the synchronization between the blueprint and live copies.

Steps to Re-Sync a Live Copy Language Root to a Blueprint

1. Check the cq:LiveSyncConfig Node:

• Navigate to the JCR Repository at /content/<your-site>/jcr:content.
    • Ensure that the cq:LiveSyncConfig node exists.
    • Verify that it is properly configured to point to the correct blueprint.
  2. Verify OOTB Rollout Configurations:

• Ensure you are using the correct Out-of-the-Box (OOTB) rollout configurations.
    • Review the configurations for "push on modify," "activate on blueprint activation," and "deactivate on blueprint deactivation."
  3. Manual Resync:

• If automatic sync is inconsistent, you might need to perform a manual resync.
    • Follow the instructions in the blog post to re-sync the live copy with the blueprint:
      • Go to the Blueprint Configuration Console.
      • Select the blueprint that needs re-syncing.
      • Use the "Synchronize with Blueprint" option to force a manual sync.
  4. Review Logs:

• Check AEM logs for any errors or warnings related to MSM synchronization.
    • Logs might provide specific details on what is failing during the push on modify process.
  5. Testing and Validation:

• After making the necessary configurations, test the sync process again.
    • Validate that changes in the blueprint are consistently reflected in all child pages of the live copies.
  6. Releasing Updatedcq:LiveSyncConfig Node:
    • Pull down production nodes to lower environment.
    • Inspect and make changes.
    • Create new content package.
    • Deploy.

Reference

For a detailed guide on resyncing a live copy language root to a blueprint, please refer to our blog post: How to Re-Sync a Live Copy Language Root to a Blueprint in AEM MSM.

If you follow these steps and ensure the cq:LiveSyncConfig node is correctly set up, it may possibly help in resolving the inconsistencies you are facing.

Community Advisor

@chalamcharla 

Is there any pattern in terms of which type of modifications are successful/unsuccessful. Any info in logs when it fails?

Aanchal Sikka

Level 2

Hi @BrianKasingli , there is nothing as such, it is very uncertain, I am just adding "." and removing them to test over same text again and again, some times it worked and some times it is not working, and I have not seen anything specific to msm in logs

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Unrelated to your issue: I consider "push on modify" dangerous, because it can lead to a lot of rollouts, plus its associated overhead and performance impact.

That means especially if follow some strict authoring process, where changes on the blueprint are made, reviewed and eventually published, you have the overhead of rolling out any change on the blueprint to 9 live copies.  Even if you would need that rollout only once after all changes have been approved.