Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Logging in OSGI bundles

Former Community Member

Lets say I have an OSGI bundle and it implements an Activator, and in that Activator class it wants to log out some information. For example

import org.slf4j.Logger; import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory; import org.osgi.framework.BundleActivator; import org.osgi.framework.BundleContext; public class Activator implements BundleActivator { private static final Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(Activator.class);     @Override public void start(BundleContext context) throws Exception { logger.info("Entered start method"); } @Override public void stop(BundleContext context) throws Exception { logger.info("Entered stop method"); } ...

Where abouts should those log messages appear ?

I had assumed that they would be in /logs/error.log but they don't turn up ?

It may be that I need to use a different Logger (i.e. JCL or Log4j), but if I do I'm not sure how to configure them (and maybe I should use log4j-over-slf4j or jcl-over-slf4j bridge API's) ??

Maybe I need to include an slf4j-log4j or slf4j-simple binding JAR (although I have experienced problems when doing that in the recent past - specifically it seems to stop nearly all output to errors.log) ??

I couldn't find the place where the global logging config is stored ?

I may at some point want to create my own log configuration for each application ?

Can anyone point me to some clues (I have read a number of articles but couldn't find the detail needed to crack this one) ?

many thanks

Fraser.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10
2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Former Community Member

An update. After creating a new application and deploying the service and taglib bundles, the log events for start/stop DID appear in the global error.log file (so it was probably not happening before because of the OSGi caching policy or something similar).