Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Language conversion in AEM 5.6.1

Level 2

Need information of below, 
Let say we have a site in en (english) with 10 pages authored.
Now i want to generate same site in fr (french).
    I could use live copy but still french page show content in english. Now it may be because if use ${title} in JSP rather than getting locale and then display title.

One more thing.... What ever the content i have in 10 pages of english, do i need to create node in  apps/project/i18n/ for evertthing, which will automatically convert it into french with my intervention.

Please advice best to create french site from english existing keeping in mind i can get all content in french langugae in french site . Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

content is very hard to deal with. While there are cases where a 1:1 translation is ok, there are others where even a very good machine translation is not enough, but you need to have authors (people) to translate. Maybe even the content cannot be applied at all and the special english content is useless in a french context.

But the rule of thumb is:

• If you need to constantly mirror the structure of a site in a different one, MSM is good. With the ootb ruleset this should be doable (see the docs).
  • if translation needs to happen, let either authors do it or use machine translation. Do not try to translate yourself.
  • You need to forsee the requirement, that language-specific content is being created. In any non-trivial usecase this will happen sooner or later. And then you need to be able to let people decide instead of doing everything automatically.

Jörg

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi,

This question touches a few fundamental topics regarding your usecase, your application, the site structure and finally the authoring processes. So there is no general answer available. Let me point out a 2 things:

• Let the authors do the translation of the content. Wherever translated content is required, make sure, that it can be changed by an author. And if it can be changed by an author, you can also plug in translation systems. Just make sure, that your code does not try to handle translation or any related aspect.
  • When you use the multisite manager you create a connection between sites. There are cases when you need to have that, but there are also valid usecases where a single intial copy is enough, because sites will tend to diverge in terms of structure and content.

kind regards,
Jörg

Level 2

Thank for the response Jorg. let me add few points.....

If structure is same for english / french site, but what both sites should have same content at same place in respective languages.

Now is it feasible in AEM 5.6.1 that I author a paragraph in a page and same paragraph is converted in french automatically in french page..

If In case it cant be done be automatically, what manual intervention will be required to achieve this except to reauthor in french.

Again summing up, A site with two languages (en / fr), My whole point would be to author content in english one and french site gets automatically build parallel.

I m bit weak in this area, so might sound odd.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

content is very hard to deal with. While there are cases where a 1:1 translation is ok, there are others where even a very good machine translation is not enough, but you need to have authors (people) to translate. Maybe even the content cannot be applied at all and the special english content is useless in a french context.

But the rule of thumb is:

• If you need to constantly mirror the structure of a site in a different one, MSM is good. With the ootb ruleset this should be doable (see the docs).
  • if translation needs to happen, let either authors do it or use machine translation. Do not try to translate yourself.
  • You need to forsee the requirement, that language-specific content is being created. In any non-trivial usecase this will happen sooner or later. And then you need to be able to let people decide instead of doing everything automatically.

Jörg

Level 10

As Joerg pointed out - typically authors manually translate content. So in En if something is updated, an author will go into the French content and update. 

If you are looking for this to be automated -- there are some 3rd party solutions that may help here:

https://www.smartling.com/translation-software/translation-connectors/adobe-experience-manager-trans...

Level 2

Hi Jorg, thanks again for detailed reply,

So you are suggesting

Use MSM to get the same structure of english under french site. ( MSM to make sure that both site have same page + structure ). I guess this would initially add english content in french pages Then on top of it use manual author to change the english to french in french site.

One more here, 

Apart from regular content some thing can be added in apps/project/i18n/ node which I am know will be common and wont be authorable. I am sounding right...?

Level 2

Thanks scott. I will look into it.