Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Issues with workflows after in place upgrade to 6.3 from 6.1SP1

Level 2

We are planning an upgrade to 6.3 from 6.1 SP1 and we ran into some issues with workflows after in place upgrade.

First:

Workflow statuses are not shown in the UI (e.g in damadmin or siteadmin) after the upgrade for pages and assets. Although it seems that all workflow instances are migrated correctly.

As a workaround - if workflow instance is suspended and resumed - its status is correctly displayed in the UI.

Is there something we should do before or after upgrade to avoid using this workaround, so that workflow statuses are correctly displayed in the UI?

Second:

There are out-of-the-box workflows for scheduled activation/deactivation of pages and assets and these workflows have version 1.1 on our environments. During upgrade process these workflows are replaced and version is reset to 1.0, thus all existing workflows (that are in progress) are no longer valid and are not executed correctly.

For now we have found a workaround - we go through all active workflow instances, set model version to 1.0, then suspend and resume workflow instance. Although after that, scheduled task is executed and can not find work item it references (might be a permissions issue, we have not investigated it yet).

Is there a way to not use this workaround and either update references during the upgrade process or preserve version history for workflow model?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

This sounds like a permission issue. When an in place upgrade occurs, sometimes weird things happen. if you cannot determine the fix - open a support ticket. Support may be aware of the issue or you may tell them about a new issue that Eng team has to fix.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

This sounds like a permission issue. When an in place upgrade occurs, sometimes weird things happen. if you cannot determine the fix - open a support ticket. Support may be aware of the issue or you may tell them about a new issue that Eng team has to fix.

Level 2

Although we have not figured out yet how we can handle workflow versions issues I described (for now we are going to just replace version ids in workflow instances with the new ones), other issues are indeed caused by permissions.

The problem is that we have a custom configuration for Workflow Session Factory (com.adobe.granite.workflow.core.WorkflowSessionFactory), which has apparently been updated since 6.1 and in 6.3 contains additional users and groups. If these users and groups are added to our configuration before upgrade is performed, the upgrade goes smoothly.

Level 4

Hi,

Did you found the resolution for the first one you mentioned in the question?

We are facing the same issue.

Thanks

Level 2

Hi, try checking configuration of Workflow Session Factory. It has been changed since 6.1 (more users/groups were added to the list), and those additional groups need to be present in configuration during upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Level 4

Hi,

I am sorry for not knowing this. You mean in OSGI configuration? or there is a group in useradmin i need to check for more users/groups?

Thanks for your reply and help.

Level 2

Hi,

Yes, OSGI configuration. You can access it using this path: /system/console/configMgr/com.adobe.granite.workflow.core.WorkflowSessionFactory.

Superuser property contains a list of users that I described.

Hope this helps.

Level 2

After upgrade also you can add workflow service user to Super user list in the Granite workflow configuration. This could be AEM 6.1 is using workflow session is admin session  but in AEM 6.3 workflow session is created from workflow service user which is introduced newly.