Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

issue with reading error log at CRXDE lite console

Level 3

Hello,

We are upgrading AEM 5.6.1 to 6.2.

I am checking crxde lite and found that error log does not show up properly.

All we read is No appender with name [/logs/error.log]

This messesage keeps repeating.

I loggin http://ourserver:4502/crx/de/index.jsp with administrator acount.

Then clicked "Console" tab. All we can see in drop down menu is "Server Logs".

It works perfectly in AEM 5.6.2, but not in AEM 6.2

Any advise/comments would be appliciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Support team is recommending that AEM users no longer use CRXDE lite to view log files.

We are working with the doc team to modify this information. 

Refer to this topic now: 

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/deploy/configuring/configure-logging.html

I personally use a text editor to read AEM log files. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

You should not be looking at log files via CRXDE lite.

log files in 6.2 are project specific - better to open them from a text editor.

see attached screenshot.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Prince

Level 3

Thank you for reply.

According to AEM 6.2 doc, https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/develop/dev-tools/developing-with-crxde-lite.html#Logging, we can read error.log from CRXDE Lite.

Logging

With CRXDE Lite you can display the file error.log that is located on the file system at <crx-install-dir>/crx-quickstart/server/logs and filter it with the appropriate log level. Proceed as follows:

1. Open CRXDE Lite in your browser.
  2. In the Console tab at the bottom of the window, in the drop-down menu on the right, select Server Logs.
  3. Click the Stop icon to display the messages.

You can:

• Adjust the log parameters in the Felix Console by clicking the Logging Configurations icon.
  • Clear the messages by clicking the Brush icon.
  • Pin the message at the current selection by clicking the Pin icon.
  • Enable or disable the displaying of messages by clicking the Stop icon.

Level 10

As Prince mentioned - its far better to view the log files directly using a Text Editor. There are various log files. In AEM 6,2 - there are project specific log files that you can view. For example -- project-repeatHTL.log as shown in the pic that Prince posted. 

However - if click the Console tab and Select Server logs - you can see the error.log conents written out in CRXDE lite: 

However - its still better to view them via text editors. 

Level 3

Thank you.

I quite got usedt to reading error log from CRXDE Lite.

The problem I have now is that the error log does not show up in CRXDE Lite.

Pleae see the attached file.

Level 10

Did you click the Stop button - i did that and the log showed up. 

Level 3

Yes, I clicked the Stop button. All log I can read is "No appender with name [/logs/error.log]" which keeps repeating.

Level 10

Do you have an error.log file in the main log folder? 

Level 3

Yes, we have error.log under \crx-quickstart\logs.

It is quite hugh, 3.35gb. It includes WARN, INFO, ERROR. Mostly WARN.

One of WARNs 

23.01.2017 00:00:00.020 *WARN* [sling-default-2705-com.day.cq.dam.core.impl.ExpiryNotificationJobImpl] org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.spi.query.Cursors$TraversingCursor Traversed 2000 nodes with filter Filter(query=select [jcr:path], [jcr:score], * from [dam:Asset] as a where [jcr:content/metadata/prism:expirationDate] > cast('2017-01-22T04:00:00.011Z' as date) and [jcr:content/metadata/prism:expirationDate] < cast('2017-01-23T04:00:00.004Z' as date) and isdescendantnode(a, '/content/dam') /* xpath: /jcr:root/content/dam//element(*, dam:Asset)[(jcr:content/metadata/@prism:expirationDate > xs:dateTime('2017-01-22T04:00:00.011Z') and jcr:content/metadata/@prism:expirationDate < xs:dateTime('2017-01-23T04:00:00.004Z'))] */, path=/content/dam//*, property=[jcr:content/metadata/prism:expirationDate=[(2017-01-22T04:00:00.011Z.., ..2017-01-23T04:00:00.004Z)]]); consider creating an index or changing the query

Level 10

Maybe this explain why its not showing up in CRXDE lite. I am checking with the AEM Support team to see if this is a known issue. 

In mean time - can you check on another AEM instance - a clean instance with a smaller log. 

Correct answer by
Level 10

Support team is recommending that AEM users no longer use CRXDE lite to view log files.

We are working with the doc team to modify this information. 

Refer to this topic now: 

https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/deploy/configuring/configure-logging.html

I personally use a text editor to read AEM log files. 

Level 3

Thank you so much, Scott.

This issure has been resolved. This is what I did.

1) The hugh error.log was replaced with blank error.log.

2) We restarted AEM 6.2.