Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Issue with overlaying nodes from libs to apps within project structure

Level 3

I am attempting to add new content to the "tools" > "general" tab within aem. To get the node structure accurate, I have overlaid the node directory /libs/cq/core/content/nav/tools/general, then created the necessary node underneath general for my content. 

The issue is when I try to recreate this structure within my codebase and get build errors. When I copy the node structure exactly as it is in the CRXDE after overlaying, below are the following errors. I have updated the filter.xml file as well. Is there something I am missing within the ui.apps pom.xml file perhaps?

As you can see it mentions there's an issue with the node type nt:unstructured being a child of nt:folder. But no where in my structure is there a parent to these nodes with nt:folder. I must be misinterpreting something here, because this error does not make sense to me. 

--------------------------------------------------

[ERROR] ValidationViolation: "jackrabbit-nodetypes: Node '{}nav [nt:unstructured]' is not allowed as child of not contained node with potential default types '[nt:folder]': Could not find matching child node definition in parent's node type", filePath=jcr_root\apps\cq\core\content\nav\.content.xml, nodePath=/apps/cq/core/content/nav, line=3, column=39

[ERROR] ValidationViolation: "jackrabbit-nodetypes: Node '{}tools [nt:unstructured]' is not allowed as child of not contained node with potential default types '[nt:folder]': Could not find matching child node definition in parent's node type", filePath=jcr_root\apps\cq\core\content\nav\.content.xml, nodePath=/apps/cq/core/content/nav/tools, line=4, column=46

[ERROR] ValidationViolation: "jackrabbit-nodetypes: Node '{}general [nt:unstructured]' is not allowed as child of not contained
node with potential default types '[nt:folder]': Could not find matching child node definition in parent's node type", filePath=jcr_root\apps\cq\core\content\nav\.content.xml, nodePath=/apps/cq/core/content/nav/tools/general, line=5, column=53

---------------------------------------------------

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

With the filter root being

<filter root="/apps/cq/core/content/nav/tools/general"/>

all nodes you declared in the hierarchy (for example apps/cq/core/content) are ignored by the plugin and the content structure is build based on the default node type for structures (nt:folder). That means even when you define apps/cq/core/content as a nt:unstructured, the plugin ignores it.

That also means, that changing the filter root to "/apps/cq" makes the plugin taking your definitions into account.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 3

I discovered the issue, but the resolution does not make sense to me. In the filter.xml file I had:

<filter root="/apps/cq/core/content/nav/tools/general"/>

and changed to:
<filter root="/apps/cq"/>

Can someone explain how having the first filter path would through the errors mentioned above? Or were the errors being thrown a potential bug with the ValidationViolation?

Level 9

@mmasonWD 

If a node doesn't exist in crx and you are trying to upload a child node under it using package manager or build, it will automatically create the parent node with nt:folder.  

In your case, the initial filter rule <filter root="/apps/cq/core/content/nav/tools/general"/> was too specific and only included the /apps/cq/core/content/nav/tools/general path. This means that the parent nodes (/apps/cq/core/content/nav and /apps/cq/core/content/nav/tools) are not present and you are trying to a add a node "general" under non-exisistant parent nodes, so they are created as nt:folder and that is the reason you see the error " [nt:unstructured]' is not allowed as child of not contained node with potential default types '[nt:folder]'
Once you update the filter rule to <filter root="/apps/cq"/>, the parent nodes are also added along with child node.

Let me know if you need more clarification here or I can explain this in a different way.

Level 3

Hi thanks for the reply, 

But I am not sure it relates specifically to my case. My errors were showing as a result of trying to build the package with maven, prior to any type of installation. Within my code structure, I had specified each of the node types within each .content.xml file for the following paths and nodes: /apps/cq/core/content/nav/tools/general, and none were of type nt:folder. So within my structure, all nodes were present and defined correctly according to the node types for libs. 

Let me know if I am misinterpreting what you're saying, or if what I mentioned here makes more sense now. 

Level 9

@mmasonWD 

Thank you for clarifying.

You correctly understood what I've responded above. If the parent nodes already exist, my explanation doesn't help your question. So, I need to think this differently.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

With the filter root being

<filter root="/apps/cq/core/content/nav/tools/general"/>

all nodes you declared in the hierarchy (for example apps/cq/core/content) are ignored by the plugin and the content structure is build based on the default node type for structures (nt:folder). That means even when you define apps/cq/core/content as a nt:unstructured, the plugin ignores it.

That also means, that changing the filter root to "/apps/cq" makes the plugin taking your definitions into account.

Level 3

Interesting. So even if I am defining all levels of filter roots within the ui.app.structure pom's filevault-package-maven-plugin file per documentation, like so:

<filter><root>/apps/cq</root></filter>
  <filter><root>/apps/cq/core</root></filter>
  <filter><root>/apps/cq/core/content</root></filter>
  <filter><root>/apps/cq/core/content/nav/</root></filter>
  <filter><root>/apps/cq/core/content/nav/tools</root></filter>
  <filter><root>/apps/cq/core/content/nav/tools/general</root></filter>

Even doing this, what you said still holds true?

Employee Advisor

you could define all nodes in the path /apps/cq/core/content/nav/tools/ to nt:unstructured nodes (by providing a proper .content.xml or whatever way you prefer); because then filevault never falls back to its defaults (which is a nt:folder for a folder in your content structure). Then the simplest case with a filter root of /apps/cq would be sufficient.

Level 3

Sorry, I worded my previous comment strange. What you just explained is exactly how I had things structured, per the documentation, and the build was still failing. I had all .context.xml files defined, as well as all filter root paths defined. That's was what so confusing to me as why it kept failing.