Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Is AEM a Portal Solution?

Level 7

Hi,

My question is "Is AEM a Portal Solution?"

Often people are thinking of AEM as a portal solution.

A Portal, as per Wiki, is "A web portal is most often one specially designed web page that brings information together from diverse sources in a uniform way. Usually, each information source gets its dedicated area on the page for displaying information (a portlet); often, the user can configure which ones to display".

As per me, AEM is not, as we do not use portlets or their equivalents. We do not configure individual portlets to display for some users and not display for others.

But to some extent, probably AEM could mimic a Portal behaviour.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Rama.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Take a look https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/administer/integration/cq-as-portal.html

I hope you have your requirements with you for web portal. share with community if you have any confusion

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

AEM is Web content management , it allows developers to create any type of website. It can ecommerce / forum / marketing site / social media etc

Web portal is a type of site which can created in AEM.

Level 10

In addition to Praveen's comment, Adobe CQ5(AEM) basically a Web content management system which allows Website authoring, social collaboration and administration tools designed to allow users with  little knowledge of web programming languages to create and manage website content as apart  from development(as per mentioned above).

There is also a great feature in CQ5 is that, you can integrate with various frameworks and applications. Also apart from it, it also manage digital assets in digital asset management(DAM) and workflow management is a very great feature in it.

Level 7

Hi,

How could AEM create a Web Portal?

Content Authors could build web sites, using the templates/components created by developers.

But these are just web sites and not web portals.

We do not use portlets or their equivalents in AEM Web Sites. We do not configure individual portlets to display for some users and not display for others.

Thanks,

Rama.

Correct answer by
Level 10

Take a look https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/administer/integration/cq-as-portal.html

I hope you have your requirements with you for web portal. share with community if you have any confusion

Level 7

I am enlightened by this discussion.

I have been of the opinion that we can at the most mimic a portal behavior with AEM.

But now I read that portals themselves could be created in its correct form.

Thanks a lot for all this guidance.

Rama.