Expand my Community achievements bar.

Enhance your AEM Assets & Boost Your Development: [AEM Gems | June 19, 2024] Improving the Developer Experience with New APIs and Events

Integrating AEM with Adobe Target

Community Advisor

Adobe documentation mentions about using Adobe Launch for integrating with Adobe target.

Queries:

screencapture-developer-adobe-console-projects-51901-4566206088345192883-credentials-621766-details-oauthservertoserver-2024-05-23-11_21_56 (1).png

• What is the purpose of Target API? I was able to integrate this, but confused with the purpose of separate Target and Launch API ?

Aanchal Sikka

5 Replies

Employee

Hi Aanchal,

there are primarily 2 integrations.

1. getting target deployed on the page. If you are using AT.js you'd typically do this with Adobe Tags (eka Adobe Launch). If this is a new implementation, I'd highly recommend WebSDK and not to use AT.js.

2. The direct integration between AEM and Target uses Target API to push the Experience Fragments and Content Fragments (only available for AEMaaCS) to Adobe Target.

HTH.

Community Advisor

Thanks for addressing the 2nd query @himanshu 

If I am understanding correctly, the Launch (at.js/Web SDK) are for Target to personalize content on UI (AEM pages for example)

While the Target API integration is to push the XF from AEM to Target.

Would that be a right statement?

Aanchal Sikka

Level 9

HI @aanchal-sikka ,

To integrate AEM with Adobe Target, you can use Adobe Launch as the integration point. Adobe Launch is a tag management system that allows you to manage and deploy marketing and analytics tags, including Adobe Target.

To create an Adobe Launch IMS config in the Local SDK, you need to configure the Adobe I/O Console. Here are the steps:

1. Go to the Adobe I/O Console website: https://console.adobe.io/
2. Sign in with your Adobe ID.
3. Create a new project or select an existing project.
4. In the project, go to "APIs & Services" and click on "Credentials".
5. Click on "New Credential" and select "OAuth Server to Server".
6. Configure the OAuth Server to Server credential by providing a name and selecting the appropriate service account.
7. Once the credential is created, you will see the Client ID and Client Secret. These values will be used in the Adobe Launch IMS config in the Local SDK.

The purpose of the Target API is to provide programmatic access to Adobe Target functionality. It allows you to interact with Adobe Target programmatically, such as creating and managing activities, audiences, and offers. The Target API is used when you need to perform advanced operations or automate tasks in Adobe Target.

On the other hand, the Launch API is used to interact with Adobe Launch, the tag management system. It allows you to manage rules, data elements, extensions, and other configurations in Adobe Launch. The Launch API is used when you need to programmatically manage and deploy tags, including Adobe Target tags, through Adobe Launch.

In summary, the Target API is specific to Adobe Target and provides access to Target-specific functionality, while the Launch API is used to interact with Adobe Launch and manage tag deployments, including Adobe Target tags. Both APIs serve different purposes in the integration between AEM and Adobe Target.

Administrator

@aanchal-sikka Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if you require more information. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni