Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

Install different versions of the same custom bundle.

Level 2

Hi, 
Is there a way to install two versions of a custom bundle?.
We have two sites running on CQ, they use a common bundle but we need to be able to update the common bundle for one site without affecting a the other site. I know OSGI allows two different versions of the same bundle, but in my tests when I install my custom bundle the new version overrides the previous one.

Regards, Claudio.

P.S. for some reason the forum is not working very well, I'm getting a 502 error when accessing posts. For example this one 'Two different versions of the same bundle active?' (http://help-forums.adobe.com/content/adobeforums/en/experience-manager-forum/adobe-experience-manage...) seems to be related to my question but I can't access to that page.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Claudio,

although OSGI supports to have a bundle in multiple versions installed at the same time in the very same OSGI container, the toolchain used in Sling and CQ does not support that. A few days I read something on the Sling dev list, which seemed to me, that this topic will be brought again. But I don't expect any short-time solution to this topic, because it would be quite a fundamental change and require lot of changes to both Sling and CQ.

Until then you should use good design of your APIs and backwards-compatibility. (Sometimes cumbersome I know).

Jörg

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

The forums will be fixed ASAP -- that thread did answer this question and is not accessible at the moment. 

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Claudio,

although OSGI supports to have a bundle in multiple versions installed at the same time in the very same OSGI container, the toolchain used in Sling and CQ does not support that. A few days I read something on the Sling dev list, which seemed to me, that this topic will be brought again. But I don't expect any short-time solution to this topic, because it would be quite a fundamental change and require lot of changes to both Sling and CQ.

Until then you should use good design of your APIs and backwards-compatibility. (Sometimes cumbersome I know).

Jörg

Level 2

Thanks Jörg for the confirmation, I imagined that it wasn't possible to install two different versions.

Regards, Claudio

Employee

To be clear (and I wrote about this in prior forum posts on this subject), it is most definitely possible to have multiple bundles with the same symbolic name and different versions. You just have to interact with OSGi APIs directly rather than using the OSGi Web Console or the JCR Installer. But the OSGi framework absolutely supports this.