Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Inheritance - Publish targets

Level 1

Hi there,

We are sitting on an old CMS and are moving towards AEM

I have two questions I could not really get a grip on.

1. Inheritance

We have a bilingual market let us say Belgium (FR and NL)

The Belgian editor receives content from two language publications within AEM. One French and one Dutch. That content is inherited from a master publication and translated.

Via rollout the NL and the FR is populated with the right content from the language publications.

Question: The Belgian editor has built a big section in the NL publication. How can the editor benefit from that build in the French publication?

Background: In our old system we had inheritance from more than one publication, but with priority settings. In our case the French Belgian publication inherited from language publication French with prio 1, and from Belgium(NL) with priority 2

This means that If something arrived from master publication, was translated into NL and FR, and then pushed down, the Belgium(FR) would prioritise the French version.

But, if something was built directly in Belgium(NL), the content would arrive from that publication.
This could be done because the content has the same unique ID as its parent. And if it found the same ID on two master publications the one with prio 1 was chosen.

2. Publish targets

Can one publish to two targets from one AEM publication?
e.g. publish either to www.site.com or stage.site.com

Can one choose target to publish to if one has two targets?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

The MSM builds only a 1:n relation; that means, that any page can only have one parent in terms of content inheritance.

In your case you want to have additional inheritance (afaik from a sibling page). With MSM this is not possible, you can have a number of ways to achieve this:

• Reference component to specifically inline a component from a different page.
  • Build a custom component, which implements a logic to choose the correct content.

Personally I don't think, that there should be to much magic which content is inherited from which location. I prefer to have a clear way and direction in which content is propagated. In your example, if the belgina editor has built the section in the NL page and now wants it to have in the french one as well, why isn't this section created in the (common) master site?

AEM requires you to define the authoring process (including how the content flows) more thoroughly, especially with MSM any kind of adhoc process might be possible in the first place, it will get very hard to change it afterwards. Reuse should be planned and not happen by accident.

To your second question: Of course it's possible; but the "how" is largely defined by your architecture.

kind regards,
Jörg

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi,

The MSM builds only a 1:n relation; that means, that any page can only have one parent in terms of content inheritance.

In your case you want to have additional inheritance (afaik from a sibling page). With MSM this is not possible, you can have a number of ways to achieve this:

• Reference component to specifically inline a component from a different page.
  • Build a custom component, which implements a logic to choose the correct content.

Personally I don't think, that there should be to much magic which content is inherited from which location. I prefer to have a clear way and direction in which content is propagated. In your example, if the belgina editor has built the section in the NL page and now wants it to have in the french one as well, why isn't this section created in the (common) master site?

AEM requires you to define the authoring process (including how the content flows) more thoroughly, especially with MSM any kind of adhoc process might be possible in the first place, it will get very hard to change it afterwards. Reuse should be planned and not happen by accident.

To your second question: Of course it's possible; but the "how" is largely defined by your architecture.

kind regards,
Jörg

Level 1

Hi there,
Thank you for the answer. Nice to have a good well explaind answer :)

About the publication targets question, I will investigate what I meen and ask a new question :)

// Daniel Perez