Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

HTML attributes being removed on render

Level 2

Hello,

The HTL token with context="html" is stripping out certain HTML attributes. When XSS protection is turned off (context="unsafe"), the HTML renders as I originally expected. The following attributes are getting stripped: data, placeholder, pattern, minlength, required, and aria-*

- - - THE QUESTION - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Is there a way to whitelist one or more of those attributes somewhere so that context="html" does not remove them on render? If there is not a way to whitelist them, what would you recommend aside from changing context to unsafe?

- - - ENVIRONMENT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We're using AEM 6.2 in Classic.

- - - SIMPLIFIED EXAMPLE BEGIN - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In the JS Use-api, the HTML element is defined and returned

var domFragment = '<input type="tel" id="phone" name="phone" class="helloworld" placeholder="Your phone" pattern="[0-9]*" minlength="16" maxlength="16" required aria-required="true" aria-labelledby="phone-lbl">';

return {

htmlForm: domFragment

}

In the HTML page, the token is set as:

<sly data-sly-use.form="formbuilder.js"></sly>

<div class="form-builder">

<form>

${form.htmlForm @ context='html'}

</form>

</div>

---Expected Output (and also what I see when I change the token to context="unsafe")---

<div class="built-form">

<form>

<input type="tel" id="phone" name="phone" class="helloworld" placeholder="Your phone" pattern="[0-9]*" minlength="16" maxlength="16" required aria-required="true" aria-labelledby="phone-lbl">

</form>

</div>

---Actual Output (with context="html")---

<div class="built-form">

<form>

<input type="tel" id="phone" name="phone" class="helloworld" maxlength="16">

</form>

</div>

- - - END - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In application, I am generating an entire HTML form from JSON data in the SSJS and returning the built-form to ${form.htmlForm @ context='html'}. So adding all of these fields after generating it on the serverside would be 1) Awkward, and 2) Cumbersome.

Thank you for your <input>.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

You can overlay /libs/cq/xssprotection/config.xml to /apps and add your attributes in the config. You can look at XSS Filter issue with the target attribute of the a tag

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

You can overlay /libs/cq/xssprotection/config.xml to /apps and add your attributes in the config. You can look at XSS Filter issue with the target attribute of the a tag

Level 2

This was exactly what I was looking for. The included cross-post also helped demonstrate the execution of your solution. I had looked for something like that before posting here, but missed that one. Well done! Thank you!