Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

How to whitelist attributes with empty value in XSS config

Level 1

I'm trying to whitelist a custom attribute that is not supposed to have any value in XSS protection config so that when I enter something like <div new-attribute></div> in text editor, the new-attribute does not get stripped. But it seems like all the attributes defined in the configs need a regex filter rule and therefore the attribute in the text editor needs a value assigned in order to not to be stripped. Is there any way I can achieve  this? to have <div new-attribute> and not get stripped?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @millionmeme ,

${properties.jcr:title @ context='elementName'}  <!--/* Allows only element names that are white-listed, outputs 'div' otherwise */-->

You can overlay /libs/cq/xssprotection/config.xml to /apps and add your attributes in the config.

In the common-attributes section, add the following target attribute declaration.

<attribute name="target>

<regexp-list>

<regexp value="[a-zA-Z0-9-_\$]+" />

</regexp-list>

</attbribute>

You can look at XSS Filter issue with the target attribute of the a tag

You can add context=unsafe but it disables escaping and XSS protection completely which can cause security issues.

Please read more about context on the blog: HTL Expression Language

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Santosh

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @millionmeme ,

${properties.jcr:title @ context='elementName'}  <!--/* Allows only element names that are white-listed, outputs 'div' otherwise */-->

You can overlay /libs/cq/xssprotection/config.xml to /apps and add your attributes in the config.

In the common-attributes section, add the following target attribute declaration.

<attribute name="target>

<regexp-list>

<regexp value="[a-zA-Z0-9-_\$]+" />

</regexp-list>

</attbribute>

You can look at XSS Filter issue with the target attribute of the a tag

You can add context=unsafe but it disables escaping and XSS protection completely which can cause security issues.

Please read more about context on the blog: HTL Expression Language

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Santosh