Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to Integrate Ruby Rails with CQ5.6.0

Level 3

Hi,

Am CQ5 admin.

Please let me know how to integrate Rubyon Rails with CQ5.

I need the procedure from admin perspective not as a developer.

I have installed Ruby , Radrails IDE and EasyEclipse for Rubyrails aswell.

Thanks

Mahesh

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

The Adobe Experience Manager team said that this use case was not an out-of-the box supported AEM feature and therefore not documented.

While its true that you can post data from a Ruby on Rails application to Adobe CQ using a SlingPostServlet:

https://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/developing/sling_cheatsheet.html

What you are asking is different.

The answer from the AEM team regarding your question is:

"I don't think this is likely to work without a fair bit of effort. Rails-on-JRuby is mostly focused on running on existing JavaEE web containers, not OSGi."

The only real way to get this to work is to get Adobe Consulting involved. This use case will require engineering modifications that can be carried out by the AEM consulting team. 

Hope this answers you question. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 1

Just to share some variation of ideas and how one of my clients have kick-started this to meet some CRITICAL time lines. The approach mentioned below is an iterative approach and below is a description of short Phase1.

The CQ team built authoring components in CQ for marketing/business folks to create content with a normal authoring workflow. The ruby on rails application ( we call it the rendering engine) consumes this content in JSON format (OOTB in CQ). My customers in house application development team builds and maintains the ruby on rails application.
Of course it has challenges of its own and we are not using CQ to its potential (or for what it is supposed to do) and this will change in future (we have a schedule in place). The customer chose this route as they had invested a LOT on ruby application and wanted to make the best use of resources available in house to them to meet very critical timelines. So we are using an iterative approach with minimal to no downtime.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Correct answer by
Level 10

The Adobe Experience Manager team said that this use case was not an out-of-the box supported AEM feature and therefore not documented.

While its true that you can post data from a Ruby on Rails application to Adobe CQ using a SlingPostServlet:

https://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/developing/sling_cheatsheet.html

What you are asking is different.

The answer from the AEM team regarding your question is:

"I don't think this is likely to work without a fair bit of effort. Rails-on-JRuby is mostly focused on running on existing JavaEE web containers, not OSGi."

The only real way to get this to work is to get Adobe Consulting involved. This use case will require engineering modifications that can be carried out by the AEM consulting team. 

Hope this answers you question.