Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to integrate React into a non-SPA AEM 6.5 project?

Level 2

Does anyone have a step-by-step on how to integrate React into a non-SPA AEM 6.5 project? Most of the articles I've encountered starts with generating an AEM project with React, but rarely will I found an understandable article on how to inject React into an existing AEM project.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi, 

There is a reason for that. Integrating React into an Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) project can be tricky for several reasons, primarily due to the fundamental differences between how AEM traditionally works and how React applications operate. Here are some of the challenges you might encounter:

1. Server-Side Rendering (SSR) vs. Client-Side Rendering (CSR): AEM is typically used for server-side rendering, where HTML is generated on the server and sent to the client. React, on the other hand, is often used for client-side rendering, where JavaScript running in the browser handles rendering.

2. SEO and Performance: One of the advantages of server-side rendering in AEM is its support for search engine optimization (SEO). React, when used for CSR, may not perform as well in this regard, as search engines may not index client-rendered content as effectively. Ensuring good SEO and page load performance can be challenging.

3. Integration Complexity: Integrating React into an existing AEM project can be complex. You may need to retrofit React into AEM components and templates, which can be time-consuming and error-prone. Also consider data Synchronization, when using React for CSR, you need to ensure that data is fetched and synchronized between the server (AEM) and the client (React). 

4. Testing and Debugging: Debugging issues in a mixed AEM-React environment can be more complex than debugging issues in pure React or AEM projects.

Despite these challenges, integrating React into AEM can be achieved, however, it requires careful planning, and expertise in both AEM and React, here is an interesting resource that may help: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byfs7ptHhiU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZhMiaPGM_U 

Hope this helps

Esteban Bustamante

Level 2

Well I read here that I have to create two maven projects: one for React, whereas the other is for AEM. And then I have to compile all React code into bundle & place the bundle in the AEM project's clientlib path. Does something like this sound like the most efficient way to integrate React into AEM?

Community Advisor

Above explained strategy was used before when aem maven project archetype doesn’t supported the react or angular project. No harm in that. Many projects are still running in that old fashioned way

Administrator

@JustYusaf100x Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

Hi Kautuk,

To be brutally honest, I appreciate the responses, but I'd prefer to have a link to a repository that contains code that integrates React into an existing (non-SPA) AEM 6.5 project.