Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

How to install Newrelic agent on AEM6.4 Author/Publisher Server

Level 4

Hi ,

We are trying to  install newrelic java agent in our AEM6.4 author and publisher servers.

Software installed in both servers:

-openjdk version "1.8.0_161"

- Apache Maven 3.5.3    

- aem_6.4_quickstart.jar

Our installation path

/opt/aem_publisher/AEM_6.4_Quickstart_Setup/crx-quickstart/

We download newrelic-java-4.1.0.zip from Newrelic site and unzip it in /opt/aem_publisher/AEM_6.4_Quickstart_Setup/crx-quickstart/

When run the below command in /opt/aem_publisher/AEM_6.4_Quickstart_Setup/crx-quickstart/newrelic

getting below error.

[root@wisctvnewspub01 newrelic]# java -jar newrelic.jar install

***** ( ( o))  New Relic Java Agent Installer

***** Installing version 4.1.0 ...

* Could not edit start script because:

Could not locate a Tomcat, Jetty, JBoss, JBoss7 or Glassfish instance in /opt/aem_publisher/AEM_6.4_Quickstart_Setup/crx-quickstart

* Try re-running the install command with the -s <AppServerRootDirectory> option or from <AppServerRootDirectory>/newrelic.

If that doesn't work, locate and edit the start script manually.

* No need to create New Relic configuration file because:

A config file already exists: /opt/aem_publisher/AEM_6.4_Quickstart_Setup/crx-quickstart/newrelic/newrelic.yml

***** Install incomplete

***** Next steps:

For help completing the install, see https://newrelic.com/docs/java/new-relic-for-java

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone please suggest ?

Thanks

Sina

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

See (1) for detailed information on how can set it up

(1) : Monitoring AEM With New Relic - Blog - 6D Global

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Employee

Once newrelic archive is unzipped, you would just need add the jvm argument to include the new relic agent or bind it to cq5 process more like (1)

(1) : java -javaagent:<Path_to_newrelic.jar> -jar cq5-author-4502.jar

Level 4

Thanks Kunwar.

Could you please suggest how to add the jvm argument to include the new relic agent or bind in the startup script with example?

Correct answer by
Employee

See (1) for detailed information on how can set it up

(1) : Monitoring AEM With New Relic - Blog - 6D Global

Level 4

Perfect,thanks a lot.

I have the same query for AEM Dispatcher server i don't see any APM for apache HTTPD .

Do you know how to monitor WEB transaction /performance for AEM dispatcher.

Employee

Dispatcher does nothing extra but acts like a proxy with other features(filters, cache) specific to AEM so not sure how APM would be helpful here.

Level 4

Ok ,got it.

I will look for newrelic options to monitor  apache HTTPD traffic.

Thanks .

Level 1

If you are unhappy with how New Relic names AEM transactions, take a look at the open source Sling APM framework I created.  It allows New Relic to creating meaningful transaction names by using the sling:resourceType or cq:template of a page being rendered, and also names transactions to Sling servlets based on the servlet called.

https://www.freedtechnologies.com/2018/12/17/introducing-the-sling-apm-framework/

GitHub - freedtechnologies/sling-apm-framework: A framework for sending custom transaction names fro...