Expand my Community achievements bar.

Enhance your AEM Assets & Boost Your Development: [AEM Gems | June 19, 2024] Improving the Developer Experience with New APIs and Events

How to cancel inheritance of a content fragment ?

Level 2

I have created a content fragment in English and have created a live copy of the CF inside /europe/uk/en/. When I synchronize the language copy, all the changes are moved to the live copy. There is a use case when I need to cancel the inheritance , and there is an option which mentions that, when you click on Edit Live Copy but even when checking the Live Copy Suspended checkbox, which should ideally cancel the inheritance, the synchronize is still happening. Is there an OOTB way to cancel the inheritance in this case?

8 Replies

Community Advisor

@niranjanpalani90  please check this blog article

https://www.bounteous.com/insights/2022/11/21/multi-site-management-inheritance-adobe-experience-man...

Upon suspending the relationship of a livecopy, jcr:content node will be updated with mixin type cq:LiveSyncCancelled

Do you see this mixin added in the live copy?

Level 1

Hi @Saravanan_Dharmaraj 

Yes cq:LiveSyncCancelled is getting added but still the Sync is happening

sharaj_0-1705904028937.png

Community Advisor

Hi @niranjanpalani90  Sure, I can help with that! Here's how to cancel inheritance of a content fragment in AEM, even though the "Live Copy Suspended" option isn't working as expected:

Steps:

1. Open the Live Copy: Navigate to the Live Copy of the content fragment (e.g., /europe/uk/en/).
  2. Edit Properties: Click on the "Properties" tab.
  3. Unlock Live Copy: Under the "Live Copy" section, look for the "Lock" checkbox. If it's checked, uncheck it to unlock the Live Copy.
  4. Reset Mixin: Click on the "Advanced" tab.
  5. Find Mixins: Locate the property named "jcr:mixinTypes".
  6. Remove LiveSync Mixin: Click "Edit" next to "jcr:mixinTypes". Look for the mixin type cq:LiveSync and remove it by clicking the "-" icon next to it.
  7. Save Changes: Click "Save" on the "Advanced" tab and then "Save" again on the main Properties tab.

Explanation:

• Unlocking the Live Copy allows you to modify its content without inheriting changes from the source.
  • Removing the cq:LiveSync mixin from the Live Copy effectively severs the inheritance relationship, preventing further synchronization.
  • This approach removes inheritance for the entire Live Copy. If you need to selectively cancel inheritance for specific fields within the Live Copy, consider using the cq-msm-lockable property on those fields.
  • Remember that removing inheritance makes the Live Copy independent of the source fragment. Modifying the source fragment will no longer automatically update the Live Copy.

Conclusion:

By following these steps, you can effectively cancel inheritance of a content fragment in AEM and manage your content independently. Remember to be mindful of the implications of breaking inheritance and plan your content workflow accordingly.

I hope this helps!

Level 1

Hi @partyush ,

below properties is what we getting in Live Copy of the content fragment. which doesnt have the advanced section.

sharaj_0-1705923476510.png

If possible could you explain , how did you create Live Copy of Content Fragment and handle inheitance/cancel inheritance in content fragment just like MSM.
In our case below is the structure we created, created a content fragment in English and have created a live copy of the CF inside eg("/europe/uk/en/") and so on

1.JPG

2.jpg

and on clicking of Synchronize, the sync happens and to suspend the inheritance , click on Edit Live copy and  check the "Live Copy Suspend" checkbox. But in our case even if we check the "Live Copy Suspend" checkbox , the Synchronization is happening. 

3.JPG

Please Suggest

Administrator

@niranjanpalani90 Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 2

@kautuk_sahni 

Solutions suggested is not working. This query is still open.