Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

How to analyze “Authentication support missing” | AEM Community Blog Seeding

Administrator

BlogImage.jpg

How to analyze “Authentication support missing” by Jörg Hoh

Abstract

Errors and problems in running software manifest often in very interesting and non-obvious cases. A problem in location A manifests itself only with an unrelated error message in a different location B.

We also have one example of such a situation in AEM, and that’s the famous “Authentication support missing” error message. I see often the question “I got this error message; what should I do now?”, and so I decided: It’s time to write a blog post about it. Here you are.

“Authentication support missing” is actually even correct: There is no authentication module available, so you cannot authenticate. But in 99,99% of the cases this is just a symptom. Because the default AEM authentication depends on a running SlingRepository service. And a running Sling repository has a number of dependencies itself.

I want to highlight 2 of these dependencies, because they tend to cause problems most often: The Oak repository and the RepositoryInitializer service. Both must be up and be started/run succesfully until the SlingRepository service is being registered succesfully. Let’s look into each of these dependencies.

Sling Repository Initializer (a.k.a. “repoinit”)
Repoinit is designed to ensure that a certain structure in the repository is provided, even before any consumer is accessing it. All of the available scripts must be executed, and any failure will immediate terminate the startup of the SlingRepositoryService. Check also my latest blog post on Sling Repository Initializer for details how to prevent such problems.

Read Full Blog

How to analyze “Authentication support missing”

Q&A

Please use this thread to ask the related questions.

Kautuk Sahni
0 Replies