Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.
SOLVED

How to add Users and Roles to a Project created using AEM 6.2 Project API?

Level 3

I'm trying to create Projects in AEM 6.2 using the new Project API [ https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/develop/ref/javadoc/com/adobe/cq/projects/api/Project.html ]

I am able to create the Project and also use a Template that i developed for that Project.

When i am trying to add Users and Roles to the Project using the method 

project = projectManager.createProject("/contents/projects", "Project1", "Project Name", "Creating a Test Project", "/apps/myproj/projects/templates/default"); ... List<String> usersIds = ... List<String> rolesIds = ... project.updateMembers(userIds, roleIds);

I tried to map the values in lists 'usersIds' to 'rolesIds', like..

(userId)ksurendra --> (roleId) role_editor 

I'm seeing the exceptions like:
Caused by: com.adobe.cq.projects.impl.team.TeamException: The role role_editor is not available for admin.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

After some research and testing, i found the solution.

The Solution is to add an Owner to the Project before any Users are assigned to the project.

So when you call

project.updateMembers(userIds, roleIds);

make sure the first values for the userIds and roleIds lists' are of the owner, and then the other users will follow.

For example:

List<String> userIds = new ArrayList<String>{}; userIds.add("suren"); userIds.add("vassu"); List<String> roleIds = new ArrayList<String>{}; userIds.add("owner"); userIds.add("designer");

Some background to the solution.

1. When we create a Project using the API, we need to use a Template. And each of these Templates will have a pre-defined set of Roles. And these Roles will be assigned to the Project (see below).
  2. When we add a User to the above Project, we need to define the "Role" that user will have on the Project. This is the key thing.
  3. Every Project will have a Team, and a Project need to have an Owner before any other Users can be assigned.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 3

The Solution is to add an Owner to the Project before any Users are assigned to the project.

So when you call

project.updateMembers(userIds, roleIds);

make sure the first values for the userIds and roleIds lists' are of the owner, and then the other users will follow.

For example:

List<String> userIds = new ArrayList<String>{}; userIds.add("suren"); userIds.add("vassu"); List<String> roleIds = new ArrayList<String>{}; userIds.add("owner"); userIds.add("designer");

1. When we create a Project using the API, we need to use a Template. And each of these Templates will have a pre-defined set of Roles. And these Roles will be assigned to the Project (see below).
  2. When we add a User to the above Project, we need to define the "Role" that user will have on the Project. This is the key thing.
  3. Every Project will have a Team, and a Project need to have an Owner before any other Users can be assigned.

Administrator

ksuren wrote...

So when you call

1. project.updateMembers(userIds, roleIds);

For example:

1. List<String> userIds = new ArrayList<String>{};
  2. userIds.add("suren");
  3. userIds.add("vassu");
  5. List<String> roleIds = new ArrayList<String>{};
  6. userIds.add("owner");
  7. userIds.add("designer");

Thank you for posting solution here.

~kautuk

Kautuk Sahni