Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to access all metrics via JMX?

Level 1

Hi,

I want to monitor my AEM 6.5 installation by using JMX.

Looking at /system/console/jmx I thought I am able to e.g. read 'DISK_USABLE_SPACE' (and other metrics).

While I can read some values/metrics e.g. this:

java -jar cmdline-jmxclient-0.10.3.jar - localhost:12345 org.apache.jackrabbit.oak:name=SESSION_COUNT,type=Metrics Count

gives:

11/21/2021 13:41:42 +0100 org.archive.jmx.Client Count: 126

But a

java -jar cmdline-jmxclient-0.10.3.jar - localhost:12345 com.adobe.granite:name=DISK_USABLE_SPACE,type=Metrics Value

gives:

11/21/2021 13:56:39 +0100 org.archive.jmx.Client com.adobe.granite:name=DISK_USABLE_SPACE,type=Metrics is not a registered bean

So the question is: How do I acess ALL the metrics I see at /system/console/jmx by using JMX?
Is there an option I have to activate to enable or what is the reason I am not able to read all the values I see?
(Yes the same happens if I use 'jconsole'.)

Best regards,

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

When I test with this with a recent local AEM SDK instance, I can see the MBean

com.adobe.granite:name=DISK_USAGE_SPACE,type=Metrics

in jconsole by default, without turning on something special. And that should be the same in AEM 6.5

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee Advisor

Can you check with jconsole, if it can display this mbean?

Level 1

If I start 'jconsole', click at tab 'MBeans', click at 'com.adobe.granite' I only see 'GraniteSystemStats' and 'Repository' below it.
If I am correct I should also be able to see 'Metrics' here, but it is not there!
So I wonder if I have to enable something or (re)start some service for it...

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

When I test with this with a recent local AEM SDK instance, I can see the MBean

com.adobe.granite:name=DISK_USAGE_SPACE,type=Metrics

in jconsole by default, without turning on something special. And that should be the same in AEM 6.5

Level 1

When I do this with a raw/empty 6.5 installation I also see the Metrics.
Because we didn't see them in our current 6.5 installation which is an old CQ 5.X updated over the years we start from scratch:
Export our content / applications, setup a new 6.5 and start to integrate our application/data.
And now I can see the Metrics as expected!
So remember: Always do the export/import way instead of in-place-updating for avoiding such confusion....

Employee Advisor

I don't think that this has anything to do with the fact, that this is an upgraded version. This Metrics is defined by a code bundle and not configurable, so I really wonder what happened then.

Level 1

Me too.

Maybe we just didn't look right?!
Maybe our web application firewall or the 'intelligent' router firewall did something very **bleep**?

Don't know. I only see that it is working now.
Sorry for the trouble...