Expand my Community achievements bar.

How does Adobe / your company onboard people to AEM?

Level 3

Hi all, I am working on developing a training program for new employees at my company. I am wondering if anyone has experience with training new developers for AEM, what your process looks like, whether you have separate front end / back end boarding etc.

All information is very much appreciated - thank you

3 Replies

Community Advisor

I have trained resources in AEM for very long time. We basically used to concentrate more on the basic concepts , and focus our sessions on individual topics with more of hands-on sessions . So basically it used to be 4 week program with 3 week training and 1 week of demo project.

Level 3

Thank you Veena.

Can you give me a broad overview of what those 4 weeks look like?

How prepared are developers after this training? Can they work on their own or still need guidance?

Community Advisor

We had put across a training module for them. Everyday morning and afternoon session will be handled by us , so we start with the very basics like SLING and REST. so first two days mostly goes out to be theoretical , but after that , together with the topics we make sure to demo and give handson.

Let say , today I will be training them on templates and components, so we basically give them an overview and demo them how to create those , what is the difference , give a small task, individually make sure all of them are doing that task. Even though the topic looks small, the most time will be consumed in individual attention.

For basics take this The Basics  topic wise .

I may not be able to share the training module we have, but I can give an idea that we pretty much covered Adobe Experience Manager Help | Developing User Guide topics . It would be better to decide a set of topics for basic training and then take another session as an advanced developer session with more detailed topics .

How prepared are developers after this training? Can they work on their own or still need guidance?

- My experience with them is 50 : 50. Some developers pick up the concepts pretty fast and get to the speed . Mostly they would be pretty well ready for getting deployed to a project immediately after 4 weeks, but they would still need some guidance. The positive thing about such people are the enthusiasm to learn and no ego to ask the stuffs they don't know about.

Some people would be still slow to catch up on stuffs, we try to mentor them more till they get the hang of things. They are also deployed to projects but would still be mentored and guided as and when needed.

This was something we used to do (when I was doing the training). I cannot talk about how training's normally happen for AEM , because all the above statements are from my personal experience .