Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How do you export a design dialog xml file after performing a conversion?

Level 3

I just used the Dialog Conversion Tool to convert a design dialog from Classic to Touch UI as part of a 6.1 to 6.3 upgrade. Now I need to export the proper XML or folder structure to add that to the codebase. What's the proper way to do that? This is where I'm running into trouble. I've tried using VLT following instructions here, but this creates multiple folders and it doesn't work when I build the code to try and have it re-added to the datastore. I've tried navigating to the path of this component.xml and the file that comes back also doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

I understand your question. Once you converted dialog from Classic UI to Touch UI, you can export the XML from eclipse using export option - For this you need to install AEM plugin in eclipse.

See this thread for more information: AEM 6.3 - Maven build is successful but still doesn't install content

Also, please look into this WKND article: Getting Started with AEM Sites Part 2 - Creating a Base Page and Template

Hope this helps!!

~Ratna.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 10

After you convert a dialog - you should have a Touch UI dialog under the component. Is that happening in your situation.

Level 10

I just tested this.

Convert1.png

It converted my Classic dialog to a Touch UI dialog located here:

/apps/AEM63App/components/content/helloworld/cq:dialog

This is all the conversion tool. It does not export XML or anything like that. It converts a classic ui to touch ui dialog nodes.

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

I understand your question. Once you converted dialog from Classic UI to Touch UI, you can export the XML from eclipse using export option - For this you need to install AEM plugin in eclipse.

See this thread for more information: AEM 6.3 - Maven build is successful but still doesn't install content

Also, please look into this WKND article: Getting Started with AEM Sites Part 2 - Creating a Base Page and Template

Hope this helps!!

~Ratna.

Level 10

Ratna is correct too - the conversion tool simply converts the dialog. It has nothing to so with getting your dialog into a code repository. See Commit Content Root to Source Control (Optional) in the 2nd link Ratna provided.

Level 3

So this can't be done with anything other than Eclipse? The folks on StackOverflow seemed to believe that VLT should do the trick, but I saw the same thing you did, smacdonald2008​. I saw a bunch of nodes and therefore nothing I could use in code.

Level 10

As shown in that article - you can use the Eclipse tool to get the code into a source repo.

Level 3

So I used "repo get" and it returns a bunch of nodes, but they still don't work. In fairness the converted version of this didn't work anyway. Even before export. I suppose I have to look for a new method to convert the design dialogue.