Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

How can we duplicate the authoring contents of a field in a multifield

Level 2

Got a usecase like, while authoring in a multifield dialog, all the contents present in a field will get duplicated to the other field when clicking on add button.

For Example, lets say , in a multifield we have a textfield and a numberfield and once we author both fields, next on click of add button the authored contents should reflect in this new filed added inside multifield.

Is this even possible or a valid usecase in a multifield?

@kautuk_sahni 

@arunpatidar 

@Jörg_Hoh 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@RkR_F5 

There is no such OOTB functionality. You should write custom listener to achieve this. Why you want to duplicate the content?

• Write a listener on multifield add click
  • Get nth and (n-1)th multifield-items
  • Get the content of (n-1)th item and set to nth item's fields

[Update]: Just gone through your use case. One way I think of is, you set default value to each of the filed with in multi-filed, so on adding multi field item will get the default values.

Blow code to execute logic on multifield add click

$(document).on("dialog-ready", function(){
	$("coral-multifield").children("button[coral-multifield-add]").on("click", function() {
		//Logic
	});
});

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Level 9

hello,

the Add button is to populate default set of field not to copy the previously entered field. It's not OOTB use case, now if you want or have a use case then

1. write a listener at dialog level which listens to add button call and do according to your use case

refer - http://experience-aem.blogspot.com/2015/04/aem-6-sp2-touchui-adding-dynamic-select-options.html or https://aemsimplifiedbynikhil.wordpress.com/2018/07/30/touchui-dialog-listeners-aem-6-3/ 

2. or you can populate default values in those field by configuring the default value during field configuration

thanks!!

Community Advisor

Hi @RkR_F5 

First of all this should not be a use case. In my view, let's say we have a multifield which has 2 fields i.e. Text Field and a RTE field. Now when you configure the dialog for the first time, you will need to author the content for the first list item. On second list I agree that we can copy the content from first list item and it can be done by writing some additional logic. But why will someone want to duplicate the content in a list? Also let's say we want to change the content after copying and you have 2 different content in 2 list. Now for the next item when you will click on "Add" which field it will copy from? Should it copy from list 1 or from list 2? So I don't think this should be an use case!

OOTB functionality is the best one where it gives an option to add the content as required.

Community Advisor

Hi @RkR_F5,

You can write a touch UI clientlibs and read the value from the first field of multifield. Can copy the value from the first field and add it in the DOM object of dialog as and HTML using JS. 

You can refer below link for the clienlib creation for multifield.

https://techforum.medium.com/how-to-enable-custom-validation-on-multifield-touch-ui-adobe-experience...

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@RkR_F5 

There is no such OOTB functionality. You should write custom listener to achieve this. Why you want to duplicate the content?

• Write a listener on multifield add click
  • Get nth and (n-1)th multifield-items
  • Get the content of (n-1)th item and set to nth item's fields

[Update]: Just gone through your use case. One way I think of is, you set default value to each of the filed with in multi-filed, so on adding multi field item will get the default values.

Blow code to execute logic on multifield add click

$(document).on("dialog-ready", function(){
	$("coral-multifield").children("button[coral-multifield-add]").on("click", function() {
		//Logic
	});
});

Level 2

Hi @Anudeep_Garnepudi 

Thank you for your answer. Need for this usecase is totally business demand.

Just had one concern, how can I trigger a listener on add button click, can you please explain a bit more?

Level 2

Hi @anudeep,

The approach mentioned is working. But I am facing issue with the OOB listener that gets triggered on click of add button (/libs/clientlibs/granite/coralui3/js/all.js) and it again creates an empty field in the dialog.

Is there a way to disable this OOB listener?

Community Advisor

Hi,

What is the business use case here. Simply duplicating values in the multifield dialog does not make sense instead of you can use counter

Please let me know the use case there might be a better approach.

Arun Patidar

Level 2

Hi Arun,

Usecase is : We have a component where we are displaying different recipes based on the container we have( that is being populated through a dropdown). Based on this drop down selection, the content in UI changes. The authoring capability in component is quite huge. we have around 15 fields in a multifield.

Now  problem is the delta changes with different recipes are quite minimal and most of the time it's just numerical changes, so business does not want to author most of the contents again and again. We do think of content fragmant but that did not work .

So we got this usecase, where we need to duplicate the content every time and then just update the delta changes.

Please do let me know for any better approach.

Community Advisor
This kind of use case generally handle using container and child component. e.g. A container component which allows the control/settings/configuration and the recipes component which can be authored instaeof of using multifield. you can easily copy past author recipes comoponent inside container and delete as well. it is easy for authors as well. But still if you want to go with multifield, then you have to write a listener and need to prefilled other multifieldd item fields.

Arun Patidar

Level 2
Can you please help me the OOB clientlibs path which gets triggered on click of add button of multifield ?

Community Advisor

you can write your own logic e.g.categories="[cq.authoring.dialog]", no need to modify existing.

e.g. Below code explain how to disabling multifield add button when there are may 2 buttons for teaser core component.

(function($, $document) {
    "use strict";
    $(document).ready(function() {
        const CTA_SELECTOR = '.cmp-teaser__editor-multifield_actions';
        const CTA_ADD_BTN = '.cmp-teaser__editor-multifield_actions > button.coral3-Button--secondary';
        const MULTI_ITEM = 'coral-multifield-item';

$(document).on('click', CTA_ADD_BTN, function() {
            let items = $(CTA_SELECTOR).find(MULTI_ITEM);
            if(typeof items !== 'undefined' || items != null){
                if(items.length >= 2){
                    $(this).attr('disabled', 'disabled');
                }
            }
        })

$document.on("dialog-ready", function() {
                if(items.length >= 2){
                    $(CTA_ADD_BTN).attr('disabled', 'disabled');
                }
            }
        })
    });
})($, $(document));

Arun Patidar

Level 2

Thanks Arun for this response.

Is there a way to disable the OOB listener that gets triggered on click of add button?

OOB js path : /libs/clientlibs/granite/coralui3/js/all.js

Community Advisor
I would not recommend to update the OOTB javascript because the common file is used for other places as well. Just write your own js and disable button if you want.

Arun Patidar

Level 2

Hi Arun,

I tried with below js logic :

(function($, $document) {
"use strict";
$(document).ready(function() {
const CTA_SELECTOR = '.cmp-recipe__editor-multifield_actions';
const CTA_ADD_BTN = '.cmp-recipe__editor-multifield_actions > button[coral-multifield-add]';
const MULTI_ITEM = 'coral-multifield-item-content';

$(document).on('click', CTA_ADD_BTN, function() {
if(items.length >= 2){

for(var i=1; i<items.length; i++){
var cln = items[i-1].cloneNode(true);

items[i].replaceWith(cln);

}
}
}
})

});
})($, $(document));

Functionality is working but problem is that after replacing the value of name attribute of each field is getting changed, that is for second field in multifield , value should be ./blender/item1/./quantityimperial but it is changed to ./blender/item1/./blender/item0/./quantityimperial and same for other fields.

Is there a way to fix this or any other logic that I can try?