Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

How can I migrate all DAM content (asset + metadata) from AEM 6.4 on premise to AEM managed services Azure on cloud 6.5.6

Level 4

I need to migrate all my asset from my aem 6.4 to aem 6.5.6. My aem 6.4 is on premise and my aem 6.5.6 is in cloud azure based managed service. I want to migrate all the metadata as well completely so that we dont lose any publishing or editing etc updates that were made on the assets in aem 6.4. Please guide.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The DAM Migration depends on the total size of your DAM repository. Do you know the size of the DAM?, 

Asset Migration is one of the important activity as part of the migration process, There are two options and it should be chosen based on the requirement

Package based migration
CRX2Oak Migration Tool

1) DAM Size is in GBs
Package based migration should be used if the content/asset size is less and there is no requirement to migrate the version histories.
2) DAM Size is in TBs
CRX2Oak Migration Tool should be used if the content/asset size is large and the requirement is to migrate the version histories.

Following are best practices to consider during the Migration:

1) Increase AEM Server capacity / memory:
Additional resources(CPU) to support the migration - The environment will be impacted during the migration so the resources should increaed to avoid the impact to the authors.
2) Author to Author & Publish to Publish
The content/asset from author should be migrated to AMS Author and Publisher to AMS Publisher - The will help to avoid the issues with deactivated assets and modified but not published assets. Tree activation from(selecting the appropriate options)from author will be another option but it will create performance issues.
3) Disable Workflows to maintain the server load
DAM asset related workflow(Update and Create) should be disabled in Author - this will help as to speed up the migration and also to avoid changing the last modified date and modified by values of content/assets
4) Using CURL Commands
Curl command to install the packages - if the package based approach is considered then use CURL command to install the packages that will provide better tracking option and performance.

Temp folder disk apace availability - Make sure the On-Premises server is having enough temp space to build the larger packages if the package based migration approach is considered, better to point the temp folder to the location(-Djava.io.tmpdir=/path/to/tmpdir) that has required space.

To avoid the individual migrations the AMS servers can be build from the copy of on-premises servers so that only the delta changes need to be migrated later.

The CRX2Oak migration tool can be used to migrate the complete repository.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The DAM Migration depends on the total size of your DAM repository. Do you know the size of the DAM?, 

Asset Migration is one of the important activity as part of the migration process, There are two options and it should be chosen based on the requirement

Package based migration
CRX2Oak Migration Tool

1) DAM Size is in GBs
Package based migration should be used if the content/asset size is less and there is no requirement to migrate the version histories.
2) DAM Size is in TBs
CRX2Oak Migration Tool should be used if the content/asset size is large and the requirement is to migrate the version histories.

Following are best practices to consider during the Migration:

1) Increase AEM Server capacity / memory:
Additional resources(CPU) to support the migration - The environment will be impacted during the migration so the resources should increaed to avoid the impact to the authors.
2) Author to Author & Publish to Publish
The content/asset from author should be migrated to AMS Author and Publisher to AMS Publisher - The will help to avoid the issues with deactivated assets and modified but not published assets. Tree activation from(selecting the appropriate options)from author will be another option but it will create performance issues.
3) Disable Workflows to maintain the server load
DAM asset related workflow(Update and Create) should be disabled in Author - this will help as to speed up the migration and also to avoid changing the last modified date and modified by values of content/assets
4) Using CURL Commands
Curl command to install the packages - if the package based approach is considered then use CURL command to install the packages that will provide better tracking option and performance.

Temp folder disk apace availability - Make sure the On-Premises server is having enough temp space to build the larger packages if the package based migration approach is considered, better to point the temp folder to the location(-Djava.io.tmpdir=/path/to/tmpdir) that has required space.

To avoid the individual migrations the AMS servers can be build from the copy of on-premises servers so that only the delta changes need to be migrated later.

The CRX2Oak migration tool can be used to migrate the complete repository.

Level 4
Consider if i have an image published in on premise instance and then if i deploy /content from author-->author and publish-->publish, will i still get that image as published in my azure instance?

Community Advisor
It will carry the status, otherwise, you have to write a script to update the status. Are you going to use the status for any business logic?

Level 4
The requirements are not clear yet. but your answers were really helpful. thanks. i will reach out to you in case i need further clarification!