Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Has anyone got dispatcher working on M1 Mac?

Level 9

The dispatcher tools only work on intel macs as it requires x86 architecture, although Apache itself does not.

As we are using cloud AEM, which takes 1.5-2 hours to deploy, if I want to test a 1 line change to dispatcher, I have to wait around 2 hours.  If it doesn't work, another 2 hours.

Getting (cloud version of) dispatcher working on M1 mac would save days or weeks of time.

If anyone ever gets this working, please let me know, along with steps if possible.

3 Replies

Level 3

I faced the same issue last week, there is no other way but to use docker on M1 to run dispatcher. Key to creating docker image on Mac M1 is to understand difference in underlying architecture:

docker on Mac M1 creates images based on arm64 architecture where as dispatcher module is only supported on x86/amd64 architecture.

So essentially you will have to create a docker image for amd64 based architecture which is surprisingly easy..

just add below parameter to your docker build and run command : 

--platform linux/amd64

E.g. docker build command: 

docker build --platform linux/amd64 -t <image-name> .

Please let me know if you run into any issues. 

~Mayank

Level 9

I get:

unable to prepare context: unable to evaluate symlinks in Dockerfile path: lstat /Users/me/dev/docker/Dockerfile: no such file or directory

I have docker installed.  Where does one get the missing Dockerfile?

Level 9

When I run: 

docker build --platform linux/amd64 -t simon-dispatcher-vm

I get

unable to prepare context: unable to evaluate symlinks in Dockerfile path: lstat /Users/me/dev/docker/Dockerfile: no such file or directory

where does one get the Dockerfile?