Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Granite UI and Classic UI Dialog Boxes

Level 10

Hi,

I am trying to understand how to choose between Granite UI and Classic UI Dialog Boxes. When to choose what.

I am reading just that For a better user experience, we would use the touch-optimized dialog box.

There are a ton of differences between these two documented, but I am not getting answer to my question.

1. For the developer what is the implication? Ex: Lesser coding, ease of maintenance, etc.
  2. For the end user what is the implication? Ease of authoring, ability to author from mobile devices also, etc.
  3. The traditional meaning of Touch UI, meaning the ability to author content using mobile devices etc will hold good here as well?
  4. The Classic UI uses a widget library called ExtJS. Is this statement still valid, as I read that AEM got rid of ExtJS?

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks,

Rama.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

AEM Forum wrote...

Hi,

Hi Rama,

I am trying to understand how to choose between Granite UI and Classic UI Dialog Boxes. When to choose what.

I am reading just that For a better user experience, we would use the touch-optimized dialog box.

There are a ton of differences between these two documented, but I am not getting answer to my question.

1. For the developer what is the implication? Ex: Lesser coding, ease of maintenance, etc.

Refer https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/develop/the-basics/touch-ui-concepts.html#Differences to the Classic UI

1. For the end user what is the implication? Ease of authoring, ability to author from mobile devices also, etc.

Unified UI experience across all solutions of adobe. 

1. The traditional meaning of Touch UI, meaning the ability to author content using mobile devices etc will hold good here as well?

it holds good.    

1. The Classic UI uses a widget library called ExtJS. Is this statement still valid, as I read that AEM got rid of ExtJS?

Yes classic still use EXTJS.  The meaning of "Got rid of EXTJS"  equals to you have all the functionality of classic available in touch. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi Rama,

I heared in upcoming versions of AEM, There will be no classic UI.

~ Prince

Level 8

Prince is correct. This is what even I have come across.

Which is the AEM version you are using? You might want to use Granite , than going for classic and avoid rework later to make it compatible with future AEM versions.

Employee

See the Pre-Announcement for the Next Release for plans for the UI Framework (Classic UI):

Level 10

Hi all,

I completely understand your stand point.

Obviously everybody should migrate to Touch stuff.

Kindly reply to my above 4 queries.

Thanks,

Rama.

Correct answer by
Level 9

AEM Forum wrote...

Hi,

Hi Rama,

Refer https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/develop/the-basics/touch-ui-concepts.html#Differences to the Classic UI

1. For the end user what is the implication? Ease of authoring, ability to author from mobile devices also, etc.

Unified UI experience across all solutions of adobe. 

1. The traditional meaning of Touch UI, meaning the ability to author content using mobile devices etc will hold good here as well?

it holds good.    

1. The Classic UI uses a widget library called ExtJS. Is this statement still valid, as I read that AEM got rid of ExtJS?

Yes classic still use EXTJS.  The meaning of "Got rid of EXTJS"  equals to you have all the functionality of classic available in touch. 

Level 10

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

All my queries are answered.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Rama.