Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

GIT - File Change version control for AEM Form/Templates

Level 5

Hi Everyone,

We have multiple developers who work on the same form/template during different time periods. We like to keep track of which developer has made what change to the forms.

Each developer opens the XDP template in the stand-alone desktop Designer 6.5. Makes the necessary changes to the form, logs into server:port/aem/start.html, navigates to server:port/aem/forms.html/content/dam/formsanddocuments to upload the modified form.

We like to setup the GIT version control to keep track of the various version of the forms. I don't know how effective it will be to keep track of the changes done using the Designer, since there is no proof that the same form modified in the Designer is the one that is uploaded in server:port/aem/forms.html/content/dam/formsanddocuments.

What would be the best way to keep track of the change done to the form that is uploaded in  server:port/aem/forms.html/content/dam/formsanddocuments?

Any additional information on how to setup git in this situation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Leena

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @aemuser001 

Instead of you uploading the form manually/directly using server:port/aem/forms.html/content/dam/formsanddocuments path, you can create a github project and then checkin the form updates in the project path.

Now you can setup a Jenkins job which will automate the build process and it will take the updated form and will upload in server:port/aem/forms.html/content/dam/formsanddocuments location.

This will ensure the changes that are made are gone through version control.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @aemuser001 

Instead of you uploading the form manually/directly using server:port/aem/forms.html/content/dam/formsanddocuments path, you can create a github project and then checkin the form updates in the project path.

Now you can setup a Jenkins job which will automate the build process and it will take the updated form and will upload in server:port/aem/forms.html/content/dam/formsanddocuments location.

This will ensure the changes that are made are gone through version control.

Thanks!

Level 5

Good Morning Asuthosh,

Thanks for providing the solution.

When Jenkins job is automated to upload the changed forms in server:port/aem/forms.html/content/dam/formsanddocuments, is there a way to prevent developers from manually uploading the forms through the GUI? 

Do I need to add the developers to a User group that does not have permission to upload the forms through the GUI? If yes, how can this be done?

Thanks in advance for the response.

Leena

Community Advisor

Hi @aemuser001 

Good Morning!

Yes, you are correct. You need to add the users into a group and update the group permission which will not allow them to upoad any asset under the desired path. Only Jenkins will have access to the path which can deploy the file.

You can navigate to http://localhst:4502/useradmin and then remove the Modify and Create permission from the required folder. It will disable upload from GUI.

Let me know if there are any questions!

Thanks!

Level 5

Hi Asutosh,

Thank you for the quick response. I think I am all set for now.

I may have more questions when implementing it, and I can raise them in a new post.

Thanks,

Leena