Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Getting NullPointerException when trying to get the component report json output from Java

Level 6

I create a component report and access it by http://localhost:4502/etc/reports/my-component-report.html. I can also get json output by http://localhost:4502/etc/reports/my-component-report/jcr:content/report.data.json.

I try to get this json output in Java and then to generate the excel file. However, I get the NullPointerException, see errors below:

GET /bin/excelreportservlet HTTP/1.1] com.day.cq.reporting.servlets.DataServlet Could not create report for report '/etc/reports/ryad-test-component-SECTION/jcr:content/report'
GET /bin/excelreportservlet HTTP/1.1] com.day.cq.reporting.servlets.DataServlet Stacktrace:
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
    at com.day.cq.reporting.impl.cache.CacheImpl$CacheKey.toString(CacheImpl.java:77)
    at com.day.cq.reporting.impl.cache.CacheImpl$CacheKey.hashCode(CacheImpl.java:64)
    at org.apache.commons.collections.map.AbstractHashedMap.hash(AbstractHashedMap.java:373)
    at org.apache.commons.collections.map.AbstractHashedMap.getEntry(AbstractHashedMap.java:433)
    at org.apache.commons.collections.map.LRUMap.get(LRUMap.java:174)
    at com.day.cq.reporting.impl.cache.CacheImpl.get(CacheImpl.java:242)

My code:

HttpServletRequest req = requestResponseFactory.createRequest("GET","/etc/reports/my-component-report/jcr:content/report.data.json");
ByteArrayOutputStream out = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
HttpServletResponse resp = requestResponseFactory.createResponse(out);
Writer writer = response.getWriter();
requestProcessor.processRequest(req, resp, request.getResourceResolver());
String jsonString = out.toString();

Above code works fine when the URL is "/etc/reports/my-component-report.-1.json".

Does anyone know how to get report json (/etc/reports/my-component-report/jcr:content/report.data.json) output in Java?

Thanks in advance for any information.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

I found the OOTB to be not as good as writing your own service and driving the look and feel of the report through a custom service. I never had any issues writing a custom Java class that created reports of JCR data, 

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Is this a question regarding Adobe's Dynamic Tag Managment solution? If so, can you clarify where you are getting this error? If the question was not around DTM, please let me know which solution the question matches best and I'll move the thread to the appropriate forum.

Cheers,

Jantzen

Level 10

The Java logic works for this node? 

/etc/reports/my-component-report.-1.json

In the other location - is there any content at that location? 

Level 5

Try passing this path - 

/etc/reports/my-component-report/_jcr_content/report.data.json

Level 6

sandeepm744005 wrote...

Try passing this path - 

/etc/reports/my-component-report/_jcr_content/report.data.json

Thanks for response, however, I try it, this URL gives me the same NullPointerException and stop at the same place.

Level 6

smacdonald2008 wrote...

The Java logic works for this node? 

/etc/reports/my-component-report.-1.json

In the other location - is there any content at that location? 

Yes, it works for this path: /etc/reports/my-component-report.-1.json.

No other content, only the report. If I put the whole URL in browser, it works. Only when trying to access this using Java code, it is failed.

Thanks.

Level 10

Another option that you can look at using - I have done this for many custom tools that need to pull out JCR data out of AEM and then put into a spreadsheet for reporting purposes is to write a custom tool that queries data using JCR SQL2. Then use a Java Excel API to dynamically build the report and write out the data. We have an artilce of this. This works very nicely, 

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/using/java-swing-applications.html

Level 6

Thank you. I saw the code, eventually, I have to use the Jave Excel API to generate the excel from Json, 

The report json is out of box feature from adobe. Try to reuse what out there instead writing own code. Unfortunately it can't get the json in Java code. 

Correct answer by
Level 10

I found the OOTB to be not as good as writing your own service and driving the look and feel of the report through a custom service. I never had any issues writing a custom Java class that created reports of JCR data, 

Level 6

Thanks.

The customers are fine with the report output or they don't care the OOTB look and feel, just want to get the report as excel file. 

Anyway, looks like no other choice in this case.

Thanks again.