Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Get DataSourcePool for use in servlet

Level 4

I'm trying to get DataSourcePool instance for servlet in OSGi bundle but the standard approach doesn't work. I used to get DataSourcePool via Activator like this

public class Activator implements BundleActivator { private DataSourcePool source; public void start(BundleContext context) throws Exception { ServiceReference dspRef = context.getServiceReference(DataSourcePool.class.getName()); source = (DataSourcePool)context.getService(dspRef); } public static DataSourcePool getDataSourcePool(){ return source; } }

but since I started to develop in Eclipse, this doesn't work anymore. I have this project structure in Eclipse

project-default project-default-bundle \src \main \java \cz \package \sub1 \sub2 \Activator.java \other \package \servlets \MyServlet.java project-default-components project-default-content

When I try to get the DataSourcePool in MyServlet.java, the return value from cz.package.Activator.getDataSourcePool(); is null. I also tried to use @Reference but it just gives me HTTP 403 Forbidden error after compiling and running the servlet.

Thanks for any help

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

OK, so after a lot of googling I've found the cause and solution of this problem. The problem is with JDK7 Version 51.0 and above. Oracle added new functionality which adds StackMapTable to the bytecode and I guess that by using the SCR annotations the maven messes the bytecode so it can't be read properly. Temporary solution is to run CQ with this parameter

-XX:-UseSplitVerifier

but it looks like this will be deprecated in Java 8 and removed in upcoming versions.

So from my point of view it looks like 

• I have to wait until proper version of SCR anotations plugin or Maven will be released
  • I can use older JDK to compile my source code

Am I right? Or is there something else that I don't see?

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Level 10

In the article -- we are not using a Sling Servlet - but a plain old Java Interface and Java class wrapped in an OSGi bundle. The Injection of the DataSourcePool is occuring in the Java Class that extends our custom Java interface. 

Can you try this and see if you have better success. We do not know if your issue is with the Servlet or the injection of the DataSourcePool. 

Level 10

The following community article works and been tested in CQ 5.5 and 5.6. It hooks into MySQL:

http://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/using/datasourcepool.html

In this development article - we build the OSGi bundle using Maven. 

Level 4

I've found these errors in error.log - http://pastebin.com/dhy4NfL4 (sorry, it's too long to paste it here...).

Level 10

AT the end of the log -- you have:

ERROR* [OsgiInstallerImpl] org.apache.sling.servlets.resolver.internal.SlingServletResolver bindServlet: Servlet service not available from reference [javax.servlet.Servlet]

Looks like your issue is with the Java Sling Servlet.

For testing purposes -- try building an OSGi bundle with a custom interface and Java class and injecting a DataSourcePool into it - as shown in the article. I have done this many times in CQ and it works nicely

Try separating use of the DataSourcePool from a Sling Servlet. Lets make sure that you can successfully get the DataSourcePool working from a POJO (Plain Old Java Object) wrapped in an OSGi. Once you do that - we will know that your DataSourcePool Service is working. 

After that -- we will know for sure its a servelt problem -- not a DataSourcePool issue. 

Level 4

Hi,

I've already tried to create my servlet like this, but whenever I try to use @Reference, I get HTTP 403 Forbidden error. This is how my servlet looks like

package my.pckg.servlets; import java.io.IOException; import java.sql.Connection; import javax.servlet.ServletException; import javax.sql.DataSource; import org.apache.felix.scr.annotations.Component; import org.apache.felix.scr.annotations.Properties; import org.apache.felix.scr.annotations.Property; import org.apache.felix.scr.annotations.Reference; import org.apache.felix.scr.annotations.Service; import org.apache.sling.api.SlingHttpServletRequest; import org.apache.sling.api.SlingHttpServletResponse; import org.apache.sling.api.servlets.SlingAllMethodsServlet; import org.slf4j.Logger; import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory; import com.day.commons.datasource.poolservice.DataSourcePool; @Component(immediate = true) @Service(value=javax.servlet.Servlet.class) @Properties(value={ @Property(name="sling.servlet.methods", value={"GET"}), @Property(name="sling.servlet.paths", value={"/myservices/saveandinvite"}) }) public class SaveAndInvitePeople extends SlingAllMethodsServlet{ private static final long serialVersionUID = 7923689671005539630L; private static final Logger log = LoggerFactory.getLogger(SaveAndInvitePeople.class); @Reference private DataSourcePool source; //private DataSourcePool dataSourcePool = null; @Override protected void doGet(SlingHttpServletRequest request, SlingHttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException{ log.info("doGet"); /*this.dataSourcePool = Activator.getDataSourcePool(); if(this.dataSourcePool == null){ log.info("datasourcepool == null!"); }*/ if(this.source == null){ log.info("datasourcepool == null!"); } try{ //DataSource ds = (DataSource)this.dataSourcePool.getDataSource("myConnection"); DataSource ds = (DataSource)this.source.getDataSource("myConnection"); if(ds == null){ log.error("DataSource is null!"); return; } log.info("datasource not null! gonna try to get connection!"); Connection con = null; try{ con = ds.getConnection(); }catch(Exception e){ log.error("Exception "+e.getClass().getName()+": "+e.getMessage()); }finally{ if(con != null){ try{ con.close(); }catch(Exception e){ log.error("Exception "+e.getClass().getName()+": "+e.getMessage()); } } } log.info("looks OK!"); }catch(Exception e){ log.error("Exception "+e.getClass().getName()+": "+e.getMessage()); } } @Override protected void doPost(SlingHttpServletRequest request, SlingHttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException{ } }

and when I try to access localhost:4502/myservices/saveandinvite, I get this error

Forbidden Cannot serve request to /myservice/saveandinvite/ in org.apache.sling.servlets.get.DefaultGetServlet Request Progress: 0 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) TIMER_START{Request Processing} 0 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) COMMENT timer_end format is {<elapsed msec>,<timer name>} <optional message> 0 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Method=GET, PathInfo=/myservice/saveandinvite/ 0 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) TIMER_START{ResourceResolution} 0 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) TIMER_END{0,ResourceResolution} URI=/myservice/saveandinvite/ resolves to Resource=, type=sling:syntheticResourceProviderResource, path=/myservice/saveandinvite, resource=[SyntheticResource, type=sling:syntheticResourceProviderResource, path=/myservice/saveandinvite] 0 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Resource Path Info: SlingRequestPathInfo: path='/myservice/saveandinvite', selectorString='null', extension='null', suffix='/' 0 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) TIMER_START{ServletResolution} 0 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) TIMER_START{resolveServlet(, type=sling:syntheticResourceProviderResource, path=/myservice/saveandinvite, resource=[SyntheticResource, type=sling:syntheticResourceProviderResource, path=/myservice/saveandinvite])} 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) TIMER_END{2,resolveServlet(, type=sling:syntheticResourceProviderResource, path=/myservice/saveandinvite, resource=[SyntheticResource, type=sling:syntheticResourceProviderResource, path=/myservice/saveandinvite])} Using servlet org.apache.sling.servlets.get.DefaultGetServlet 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) TIMER_END{2,ServletResolution} URI=/myservice/saveandinvite/ handled by Servlet=org.apache.sling.servlets.get.DefaultGetServlet 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Applying Requestfilters 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: org.apache.sling.bgservlets.impl.BackgroundServletStarterFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: org.apache.sling.i18n.impl.I18NFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: org.apache.sling.rewriter.impl.RewriterFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: com.day.cq.wcm.designimporter.CanvasPageDeleteRequestFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: com.day.cq.wcm.core.impl.WCMRequestFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: cz.devsoft.hartmann.project20130901v01.impl.filters.LoggingFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: com.adobe.granite.optout.impl.OptOutFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: com.day.cq.theme.impl.ThemeResolverFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: com.day.cq.wcm.foundation.forms.impl.FormsHandlingServlet 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: org.apache.sling.engine.impl.debug.RequestProgressTrackerLogFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: com.day.cq.wcm.mobile.core.impl.redirect.RedirectFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG RedirectFilter did not redirect (request extension does not match) 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: com.day.cq.wcm.core.impl.warp.TimeWarpFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Applying Componentfilters 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: com.day.cq.wcm.core.impl.WCMComponentFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: com.day.cq.wcm.core.impl.WCMDebugFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) TIMER_START{org.apache.sling.servlets.get.DefaultGetServlet#0} 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Using org.apache.sling.servlets.get.impl.helpers.StreamRendererServlet to render for extension=null 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Applying Error filters 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Calling filter: org.apache.sling.rewriter.impl.RewriterFilter 2 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) TIMER_START{handleError:status=403} 6 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) TIMER_END{4,handleError:status=403} Using handler /libs/sling/servlet/errorhandler/default.jsp 22 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) LOG Found processor for post processing ProcessorConfiguration: {contentTypes=[text/html],order=-1, active=true, valid=true, processErrorResponse=true, pipeline=(generator=Config(type=htmlparser, config={}), transformers=(Config(type=linkchecker, config={}), Config(type=mobile, config=org.apache.sling.jcr.resource.JcrPropertyMap@49f984de), Config(type=mobiledebug, config=org.apache.sling.jcr.resource.JcrPropertyMap@1c8230c3), Config(type=contentsync, config=org.apache.sling.jcr.resource.JcrPropertyMap@274f60d4), serializer=Config(type=htmlwriter, config={}))} 23 (2014-01-29 11:51:40) TIMER_END{23,Request Processing} Dumping SlingRequestProgressTracker Entries ApacheSling/2.2 (Day-Servlet-Engine/4.1.42, OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 1.7.0_51, Linux 2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64 amd64)

Level 8

Is your servlet path listed in the Sling Servlet Resolver (org.apache.sling.servlets.resolver.SlingServletResolver) service?

scott

Level 10

I will combine the use of a Sling Servlet and a DataSourcePool instance.

I will create a new community article and post it. Once done -- I will post the URL to the article here. 

Level 4

smacdonald2008 wrote...

AT the end of the log -- you have:

ERROR* [OsgiInstallerImpl] org.apache.sling.servlets.resolver.internal.SlingServletResolver bindServlet: Servlet service not available from reference [javax.servlet.Servlet]

Looks like your issue is with the Java Sling Servlet.

For testing purposes -- try building an OSGi bundle with a custom interface and Java class and injecting a DataSourcePool into it - as shown in the article. I have done this many times in CQ and it works nicely

Try separating use of the DataSourcePool from a Sling Servlet. Lets make sure that you can successfully get the DataSourcePool working from a POJO (Plain Old Java Object) wrapped in an OSGi. Once you do that - we will know that your DataSourcePool Service is working. 

After that -- we will know for sure its a servelt problem -- not a DataSourcePool issue. 

I created OSGi bundle using the article you posted but it doesn't work either... Here is how my testing component, java interface and java class are made

Interface

package info.pckg.test; public interface TestIface{ public String[] selectStringValues(String query, String[] params); }

Class

package info.pckg.test; import java.sql.Connection; import java.sql.PreparedStatement; import java.sql.ResultSet; import java.util.ArrayList; import javax.sql.DataSource; import org.apache.felix.scr.annotations.Component; import org.apache.felix.scr.annotations.Reference; import org.apache.felix.scr.annotations.Service; import org.slf4j.Logger; import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory; import com.day.commons.datasource.poolservice.DataSourcePool; @Component @Service public class TestClass implements TestIface{ private static final Logger log = LoggerFactory.getLogger(TestClass.class); @Reference private DataSourcePool source; private Connection getConnection(){ log.info("getConnection here"); DataSource ds = null; Connection con = null; if(source == null){ log.error("source == null!"); } try{ ds = (DataSource) source.getDataSource("intranetConnection"); con = ds.getConnection(); return con; }catch(Exception e){ log.error("Exception "+e.getClass().getName()+" while getting connection. Msg: "+e.getMessage()); } return null; } @Override public String[] selectStringValues(String query, String[] params) { log.info("selectStringValues here!"); Connection con = null; PreparedStatement preparedStatement = null; String ret[] = null; try{ con = this.getConnection(); preparedStatement = con.prepareStatement(query); for(int i = 1; i < params.length; i++){ preparedStatement.setString(i, params[i-1]); } ResultSet rs = preparedStatement.executeQuery(); ArrayList<String> tmp = new ArrayList<String>(); while(rs.next()){ tmp.add(rs.getString(1)); } try{ ret = tmp.toArray(new String[tmp.size()]); }catch(Exception e){ log.error("Exception while converting ArrayList to array. Exc: "+e.getClass().getName()+": "+e.getMessage()); } }catch(Exception e){ log.error("Exception "+e.getClass().getName()+": "+e.getMessage()); }finally{ if(con != null){ try{ con.close(); }catch(Exception e){ log.warn("Exception "+e.getClass().getName()+"(not fatal): "+e.getMessage()); } } if(preparedStatement != null){ try{ preparedStatement.close(); }catch(Exception e){ log.warn("Exception "+e.getClass().getName()+"(not fatal): "+e.getMessage()); } } } return ret; } }

Component

<%@include file="/libs/foundation/global.jsp"%> <%@page import="com.day.text.Text, com.day.cq.wcm.api.WCMMode" %> <%@page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" pageEncoding="UTF-8" %><% String home = Text.getAbsoluteParent(currentPage.getPath(), 2); if(WCMMode.fromRequest(request) == WCMMode.EDIT){ out.println("Edit mode"); } info.hartmann.test.TestIface test = sling.getService(info.hartmann.test.TestIface.class); String[] retVals = test.selectStringValues("SELECT [column] FROM [DB].[dbo].[table] WHERE [anotherColumn] = ?", new String[]{"param"}); %> <table> <% for(int i = 0; i < retVals.length; i++){ out.println("<tr><td>"+retVals[i]+"</td></tr>\n"); } %> </table>

And these are the errors I get when I try to run the component - http://pastebin.com/8v21jGWE

Correct answer by
Level 4

OK, so after a lot of googling I've found the cause and solution of this problem. The problem is with JDK7 Version 51.0 and above. Oracle added new functionality which adds StackMapTable to the bytecode and I guess that by using the SCR annotations the maven messes the bytecode so it can't be read properly. Temporary solution is to run CQ with this parameter

-XX:-UseSplitVerifier

but it looks like this will be deprecated in Java 8 and removed in upcoming versions.

So from my point of view it looks like 

• I have to wait until proper version of SCR anotations plugin or Maven will be released
  • I can use older JDK to compile my source code

Am I right? Or is there something else that I don't see?

Level 10

I have successfully injected a DataSourcePool into a Sling Servlet. I can post CQ data to the Sling Servlet - which then uses the DataSourcePool and persists the submitted data into MySQL. Here is a pic of the CQ app. Notice submitted data is persisted in MySQL:

[img]SlingPersist.png[/img]

I will get this article posted by the weekend. The URL will be posted on this thread.

Level 4

Scott Brodersen wrote...

Is your servlet path listed in the Sling Servlet Resolver (org.apache.sling.servlets.resolver.SlingServletResolver) service?

scott

Hi, yes it is. I have the path /myservices/ set there.

Level 8

The Felix docs use a slightly different syntax for the Properties annotation:

@Properties({@Property(name = "prop1", value = "value1"),@Property(name = "prop2", value = "value2")})

edit: linky http://felix.apache.org/documentation/subprojects/apache-felix-maven-scr-plugin/scr-annotations.html :)

Level 10

Nice pickup - i am using an older JDK version - jdk1.6.0_18. This is why I did not experience any issues. I will add this note to the articles so other people do not run into this issue. 

Level 4

Scott Brodersen wrote...

The Felix docs use a slightly different syntax for the Properties annotation:

@Properties({@Property(name = "prop1", value = "value1"),@Property(name = "prop2", value = "value2")})

edit: linky http://felix.apache.org/documentation/subprojects/apache-felix-maven-scr-plugin/scr-annotations.html :)

I've changed it to this, but I still get the HTTP 403 Forbidden...

Level 4

justin_at_adobe wrote...

This was fixed in version 1.9.0 of the maven-scr-plugin. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-3568

Thanks for that! I didn't know I'm not using the newest version of maven-scr-plugin. I'm actually using version 1.7.4 but how can I download newer version? This is what I have in my pom.xml file

<dependency> <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId> <artifactId>org.apache.felix.scr.annotations</artifactId> <version>1.9.6</version> <scope>provided</scope> </dependency>

but when I run maven build it still says that it uses version 1.7.4. How can I use newer version? (I'm newbie with Maven).

Employee

You need to look for a block that looks like this:

<plugin> <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId> <artifactId>maven-scr-plugin</artifactId> <version>1.7.4</version> <executions> <execution> <id>generate-scr-descriptor</id> <goals> <goal>scr</goal> </goals> </execution> </executions> </plugin>

Level 4

justin_at_adobe wrote...

You need to look for a block that looks like this:

1. <plugin>
  2. <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
  3. <artifactId>maven-scr-plugin</artifactId>
  4. <version>1.7.4</version>
  5. <executions>
  6. <execution>
  7. <id>generate-scr-descriptor</id>
  8. <goals>
  9. <goal>scr</goal>