Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.
SOLVED

file.setLastModified() method in ResourceTree SitemapGenerator

Level 2

While creating sitemap using org.apache.sling.sitemap api, I am able to create sitemap by using 

ResourceTreeSitemapGenerator class

but in my sitemap.xml file I am getting date in <lastmod>2024-08-29T11:07:56.308Z</lastmod> this format, while i want in <lastmod>2024-05-10</lastmod> format.
I tried to covert it by dateformatted but the issue with code is 

final Url url = sitemap.addUrl(fullUrl);
				final Calendar lastmod = Optional.ofNullable(page.getLastModified())
						.orElse(page.getContentResource().getValueMap().get(JcrConstants.JCR_CREATED, Calendar.class));
				if (lastmod != null) {
					Instant lastModifiedInstant = lastmod.toInstant();
					// Define the desired date format
					DateTimeFormatter formatter = DateTimeFormatter.ofPattern("yyyy-MM-dd");
					// Format the date according to your requirement (e.g., 2024-04-30)
					String formattedDate = lastModifiedInstant.atZone(ZoneId.systemDefault()).format(formatter);
					// Now, set the last modified date in the sitemap URL
					url.setLastModified(formattedDate);
					// Optionally, log or print the formatted date if needed
					COMMON_LOGGER.logInfo(CLASS_NAME, "Formatted Last Modified Date: " + formattedDate);
				}

in url.setLastModified method it expected date to be in Instant format.
Note: with Instant type date comes in ISO 8601 format while i only want to show  yyyy-MM-dd

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@AkshaySwamiii  As I mentioned in my first reply, you need to extend and create a custom implementation of the sitemap to use a method that accepts a String instead of an Instant object. Please refer to the link I shared. However, the out-of-the-box sitemap uses the recommended time format for sitemaps, which you can read about here: Google’s Best Practices for XML Sitemaps. I would advise against changing the format just for simplicity.

Hope this helps

Esteban Bustamante

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi, 

Yes, that's expected because the "url.setLastModified()" method expects anInstantobject. In Java, Instant represents a specific point in time in the UTC time scale. It does not retain any format for dates such as "yyyy-MM-dd". Instead, Instant is a precise representation of a moment, with nanosecond accuracy, but without any human-readable date formatting.  So you cannot use this sitemap implementation with a date format, you will have to extend and use your own to achieve that.

You can learn more about the default sitemap implementation and how to extend it here:

https://www.theaemmaven.com/post/aem-apache-sling-sitemap 

Hope this helps. 

Esteban Bustamante

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@AkshaySwamiii  As I mentioned in my first reply, you need to extend and create a custom implementation of the sitemap to use a method that accepts a String instead of an Instant object. Please refer to the link I shared. However, the out-of-the-box sitemap uses the recommended time format for sitemaps, which you can read about here: Google’s Best Practices for XML Sitemaps. I would advise against changing the format just for simplicity.

Hope this helps

Esteban Bustamante