Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

FFMPEG Transcoding and Dynamic Media workflows fail OOTB

Level 3

Platform: Ubuntu Linux

AEM Version: 6.5
FFmpeg version:

Spoiler
ffmpeg version 4.4-static https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/ Copyright (c) 2000-2021 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 8 (Debian 8.3.0-6)
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-static --disable-debug --disable-ffplay --disable-indev=sndio --disable-outdev=sndio --cc=gcc --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enable-gmp --enable-libgme --enable-gray --enable-libaom --enable-libfribidi --enable-libass --enable-libvmaf --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-librubberband --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libsrt --enable-libvorbis --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libdav1d --enable-libxvid --enable-libzvbi --enable-libzimg
libavutil 56. 70.100 / 56. 70.100
libavcodec 58.134.100 / 58.134.100
libavformat 58. 76.100 / 58. 76.100
libavdevice 58. 13.100 / 58. 13.100
libavfilter 7.110.100 / 7.110.100
libswscale 5. 9.100 / 5. 9.100
libswresample 3. 9.100 / 3. 9.100
libpostproc 55. 9.100 / 55. 9.100

If I upload a video (mp4) with Dynamic Media off, FFmpeg transcoding will fail

grantc99475970_0-1626731629997.png

Here are the failure details under Workflow > Failures:

com.adobe.granite.workflow.WorkflowException: Process execution resulted in an error
	at com.adobe.granite.workflow.core.job.HandlerBase.executeProcess(HandlerBase.java:201)
	at com.adobe.granite.workflow.core.job.JobHandler.process(JobHandler.java:260)
	at org.apache.sling.event.impl.jobs.JobConsumerManager$JobConsumerWrapper.process(JobConsumerManager.java:502)
	at org.apache.sling.event.impl.jobs.queues.JobQueueImpl.startJob(JobQueueImpl.java:293)
	at org.apache.sling.event.impl.jobs.queues.JobQueueImpl.access$100(JobQueueImpl.java:60)
	at org.apache.sling.event.impl.jobs.queues.JobQueueImpl$1.run(JobQueueImpl.java:229)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: com.adobe.granite.workflow.WorkflowException: Failed to execute process
	at com.day.cq.workflow.compatibility.CQWorkflowProcessRunner.execute(CQWorkflowProcessRunner.java:108)
	at com.adobe.granite.workflow.core.job.HandlerBase.executeProcess(HandlerBase.java:191)
	... 8 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.day.cq.dam.handler.ffmpeg.FFMpegWrapper.addResizeArguments(FFMpegWrapper.java:621)
	at com.day.cq.dam.handler.ffmpeg.FFMpegWrapper.transcode(FFMpegWrapper.java:553)
	at com.day.cq.dam.handler.ffmpeg.FFMpegWrapper.transcode(FFMpegWrapper.java:544)
	at com.day.cq.dam.video.FFMpegTranscodeProcess.processVideo(FFMpegTranscodeProcess.java:123)
	at com.day.cq.dam.video.AbstractFFMpegProcess.execute(AbstractFFMpegProcess.java:104)
	at com.day.cq.workflow.compatibility.CQWorkflowProcessRunner.execute(CQWorkflowProcessRunner.java:93)
	... 9 more

When Dynamic Media is on, (.mp4 or .mov) that'll fail too.

grantc99475970_1-1626731662720.png

com.adobe.granite.workflow.WorkflowException: --The DMGateway configuration for video proxy is missing the registrationID, or the encoding serviceURL, or both. Please correct the configuration, then retry the workflow.-- 
	at com.day.cq.workflow.compatibility.CQWorkflowExtProcessProxy.execute(CQWorkflowExtProcessProxy.java:68)
	at com.adobe.granite.workflow.core.util.WEPProxyHolder.execute(WEPProxyHolder.java:42)
	at com.adobe.granite.workflow.core.job.JobHandler.process(JobHandler.java:274)
	at org.apache.sling.event.impl.jobs.JobConsumerManager$JobConsumerWrapper.process(JobConsumerManager.java:502)
	at org.apache.sling.event.impl.jobs.queues.JobQueueImpl.startJob(JobQueueImpl.java:293)
	at org.apache.sling.event.impl.jobs.queues.JobQueueImpl.access$100(JobQueueImpl.java:60)
	at org.apache.sling.event.impl.jobs.queues.JobQueueImpl$1.run(JobQueueImpl.java:229)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Why does this happen out of the box, and how can I prevent it from happening?

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi,

Welcome to Adobe Community.

As per the error message for video processing (with Dynamic Media), you need to configure Dynamic Media settings (registration Id and Video Service url)

In regards to error message for video processing (without Dynamic Media), please share more information :

Is this happening with all the videos?

Are you testing this with AEM 6.5.9 or a different version?

Does video processing ever worked with FFmpeg on this AEM Author?

Have you tested with admin user?

Thanks,

Vikram Gaur

Level 3

How do I "configure Dynamic Media settings (registration Id and Video Service url)"?

On my local AEM instance, I've never had to configure these things. I just set it up, turn it on, and it works out of the box.

> Is this happening with all the videos?
Yes.

> Are you testing this with AEM 6.5.9 or a different version?

>Does video processing ever worked with FFmpeg on this AEM Author?

No.

>Have you tested with admin user?

Yes.

Employee Advisor

Hi,

Please check the Welcome email from Adobe (when Dynamic Media was provisioned, your administrator must have got it).

In case you don't have access to it, please contact your Account Manager.

Do you have a possibility to test this video upload issue (FFMpeg error) with AEM 6.5.9? (installing Service Pack 9)

Thanks,

Vikram Gaur

Level 1

Hi , i am also getting the same issue in AEM 6.5.10 as well. Did u resolve the issue?