Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Fantastic AEM Configurations and How to Code Them | AEM Community Seeding

Administrator

BlogImage.jpg

Fantastic AEM Configurations and How to Code Them by Lars Trieloff

Abstract

When I first started using Adobe Experience Manager, I knew something about web development, but when it came to the realities of using software in an enterprise organization, I knew about as much as Jon Snow knew about life beyond the wall. In software, a configuration is almost always a double-edged sword. It might be necessary from time to time, but without proper training and handling, you are likely to hurt yourself. As a responsible developer who does not want user complaints all over your issue tracker, you should keep the most dangerous configurations out of reach of your less knowledgeable users, but available in case they are needed. This is what configuration spaces are for. They allow you to separate what can be configured by whom. When used correctly, they reduce both user frustration (because a configuration went wrong) and support time (because a user could not make a necessary change herself). When used incorrectly, they do the opposite and lead to endless frustration. Configuration Spaces in Real Life One way to think about configuration spaces is to think about constraints. Imagine you are driving your car down the highway. Your speed is governed by personal, policy and physical constraints. ->Personal constraints: you will not go faster than you want to, because you ultimately control the speed of your car. If you want to change this constraint, it is entirely up to your need for speed (or not). ->Policy constraints: you may not go faster than the rules of the road which govern maximum allowed speed. If you want to change this constraint, you need to either request a change of policy (ask your government representative to change the speed limit) or change the realm that the policy applies to (there are different speed limits on a county road, an interstate highway, and the Autobahn). ->Physical constraints: you cannot go faster than your car’s maximum speed, because the engine’s output, combined with wind drag and tire friction, are physical limits. If you want to change this -constraint, you need to get a faster car, or go to a planet that has lover gravity (although I hear the roads are in pretty bad shape on Mars). In AEM, there are similar personal, policy and physical constraints, each managed by a different person and with different frequency of change.

Read Full Blog

Fantastic AEM Configurations and How to Code Them

Q&A

Please use this thread to ask the related questions.

Kautuk Sahni
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

0 Replies