Expand my Community achievements bar.

External Users Authentication for AEM applications

Level 1

Hi ,

We are looking for authentication for External users for our application. what is the best options to authenticate the external users for Web application(AEM) . Please note that the constraint is that we cannot save user details in AEM.

4 Replies

Level 9

A few followup questions:

how are you going to use the user details once user logged in?. are you going to load on dynamic content based on profile? 

it would be better if you explain whole use case. just authentication can be done via web service. The point is what is that which you are trying to acheive?

Sandeep Sahadevan wrote...

Hi ,

We are looking for authentication for External users for our application. what is the best options to authenticate the external users for Web application(AEM) . Please note that the constraint is that we cannot save user details in AEM.

Level 1

We have few components which have personalised behaviour based on the user details after successful authentication.   

We were thinking to save user details in a user session or request header from where we can get the user details.

We have a SQL DB which has the user details, so we need to authenticate the users from this DB. If we are going with current situation then i need to create custom login module with JAAS authentication to achieve my requirement. But this needs development. I trying to have minimal effort to achieve this. And Client is open to migrate to some other systems.

So i need to know what are the other popular options for login module which can be integrated with AEM. 

Well, I feel you might need to have your own authentication module which needs to connect to DB and fetch the user details. Also personalization is something in addition to that. 

Do you an interface/webservice which connects to DB?

Level 1

Hi Sandeep,

I'm working on a project where the authentication of the users would be performed against the external user database system. Just wondering whether you can share the high-level of the approach you undertook to meet the project requirement. Thanks in advance.