Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Experience Manager - Is there a way of managing endnotes/caveats?

Level 1

Hello all,

As the number of products in my business have grown, I need to be able to add endnotes/caveats to certain claims I need to reference.

However, I am finding this is becoming a very time-consuming exercise, especially if I need to make changes.  Currently it's a very manual process of updating the master reference document.  In essence, I could do with something that changes dynamically as my copy changes.

In other Adobe products (and even MS Word) I am able to make changes that update when references are changed around.

Would any of you know of a better way of housekeeping my references that require little management to update.  I am adverse to manually updating the references each time

Any advice or new lines of inquiry would be gratefully received

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3
7 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 3

Employee Advisor

Hi,

from what I understand you want to maintain a piece of content at a central location and reference it multiple times from other pages. For this kind of reuse there are multiple ways:

* Reference component

* Content fragments

* Experience fragments

* (maybe: iparsys)

HTH,

Jörg

Administrator

As mentioned by Joerg,

You use Experience Fragments:- Adobe Experience Manager Help | Using AEM Experience Fragments and Experience Fragments

Also if the content os more in textual form then use content fragment:- https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-3/sites/authoring/using/content-fragments.html

• Content Fragments are editorial content, primarily text and related images. They are pure content, without design and layout.
  • Experience Fragments are fully laid out content; a fragment of a web page.

Kautuk Sahni

Level 1

Thanks kautuksahni​​ & Jörg - i'll give that ago - much appreciated to have your assistance.

Best,

Mike

Level 1

Could I check the steps with you guys...

Will the references automatically re-number themselves / stay in order - For example when the superscript changes in the body copy, it also needs to also needs to update the superscript aside the caveat/reference

1. I would use the superscript from the body copy to select the caveat asset in the reference bin where all my caveats are kept.

2. That caveat asset will dynamically appear on page and adopt the superscript number it was assigned from.

3. Any additional superscripts and caveats will add to the page and if need be become automatically re numbered so that they are always in numerical order.

Many thanks,

Mike

Administrator

I am not clear with what you mean by automatically re-number themselves / stay in order.

Experience fragments (XF) experience that makes sense of its own. It is a fragment of the web page. At the back-end, you can consider them as a page of its own.

XF can be used within the main web pages like we include other components. So the if we update XF then changes would get reflect to all the places where they are referred.

Content Fragments (CF) are internally stored as assets. So again if we make changes to these assets then the changes would get reflected to all the places where they are referred. You can consider them as a central place where you will create the content and re-use them in multiple places.

If you will add new XPs/CFs to the multiple pages and make changes within them then changes would get reflected to the all the places where they are referred.

Kautuk Sahni

Employee Advisor

The approaches I listed do not have much built-in logic. They just embed the referenced content (whatever it might be). If you have dependencies between a number of such referenced content snippets, you have to build it yourself as new component and then "embed" the reference component/XF/CF/whatever into it (that means reuse it as part of your own component).

Jörg