Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Difference between Dialog Participant Step and Form Participant Step

Level 6

Hi,

Reading the documentation, the differences I saw between  Dialog and Form Participant steps are the following:

• Dialog uses dialogs, and forms uses forms to allow the input;
  • Dialog allows to store the data on the payload or in the work item, but forms allow to store only in the payload;

Those were the difference I noticed, am I right?

If so, what would be the main use cases for each one? What the advantages of choosing one of them?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

A dialog lets the author set values used in the workflow during design time. For example - they can enter a value that is used in the following steps. This should cover most cases where input values are required in a workflow. 

You can also build a custom step that uses a dialog. Then you can use Java code to retrieve those values at run-time. To learn how - see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/using/custom_step_dialog.html

In contrast - the Form Participant Step presents a form when the work item is opened. When the user fills and submits the form, the field data is stored in the nodes of the workflow payload.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 10

A dialog lets the author set values used in the workflow during design time. For example - they can enter a value that is used in the following steps. This should cover most cases where input values are required in a workflow. 

You can also build a custom step that uses a dialog. Then you can use Java code to retrieve those values at run-time. To learn how - see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/using/custom_step_dialog.html

In contrast - the Form Participant Step presents a form when the work item is opened. When the user fills and submits the form, the field data is stored in the nodes of the workflow payload.