Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Developing modules or Plugins

Level 1

Hi, I'm getting started with Adobe manager and would like to know what are the options for modules or plugins in the CMS (I think they are called Components). Any pointers to documentation or comments about how to approach the creation of a Plugin that would allow AEM users to upload files to our servers without leaving AEM would be appreciated.

to add some more context, I have already checked the quick-start guide for component development, and what I am trying to put together is a plan for developing a module or component that is accessible from the CMS itself and would send individual files to our servers for us to work on them. As opposed to a website or functionality to be accessed through the front-end.

4 Replies

Level 10

That Guide you referenced was one way to build AEM projects using Lazybones.

The more common way is to build projects using Maven archetype project for AEM. You can use an Eclipse plug-in too.

I recommend that you go through this 6 part tutorial. You will learn most of the basics of working with AEM.

Getting Started with AEM Sites - WKND Tutorial

We have a lot more use case specific material too depending on what your use case is. I would start with the document that I posted.

The above document will get you familiar with AEM and the concepts. If you want to learn more about how to access parts of AEM, its still important to understand the concepts in the WKND tutorial.

Level 1

Thanks for your help!

I am currently a beginner and haven't set up my development environment yet, looking at what the complexity and feasibility of the planned projects is.

In that sense I'd like to ask if the idea of a Plugin that sends information/content from the CMS to an external web service is doable.

Level 10

Such a use case would require a custom AEM service - but that is possible. AEM is a Java platform (OSGi based) and you can code services using Java - so you have a lot of flexibility.

I recommend going through the WKND tutorial and leanring the basics there and then learning how more OSGi use cases work, etc.