Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Deprecated OOTB Table Component

Level 3

Hello, I'm migrating from AEM 5.6.1 to AEM 6.4. I have table component in 5.6 which is said to be deprecated in AEM 6.4. Adobe says this component should not be used for creating new sites/pages. I checked the functionality of this component in AEM 6.4 and it works just fine. Could you please advise the alternative for this table component?

I checked on this URL - https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-4/release-notes/deprecated-removed-features.html

per them, "Customers are advised to use the Core Components for future projects. Existing sites do not need to be changed."

Please advise where i can find a core component. If is okay to use this component in my existing website where this component is currently being used for creating new pages? Or do we have any alternative such as open source component for this table component?

Also, if you share an example how this needs to be done, that would be great. Thank you.

-Nilesh

5 Replies

Level 10

WIth AEM 6.4 - there is a lot that has been improved upon since 5.6.  Core Components and Editable templates are two features that represent really improved features. Also - when developing components - you should be using Granite Resource types and Touch UI. See these Guided Journeys for an explanation of new AEM functionality:

1 - Scott's Digital Community: Guided Journey for Experience Manager on Editable Templates

2 - Scott's Digital Community: Guided Journey for Using Granite Resources Types in Experience Manager Co...  (including how to convert your Classic UI dialogs to Touch UI dialogs)

3 - Scott's Digital Community: Guided Journey for Using Adobe Experience Manager Core Components  (including how to install Core Components and create proxy core components)

These Guided Journeys will help you understand new AEM 6.4 features.

Level 10

Hi Nilesh,

Yes, it is recommended to use Core components for future projects from AEM 6.4.

Also, if you want to know where the core components present and how to use - you can see the guided journey for using AEM Core components as Scott mentioned the link: Scott's Digital Community: Guided Journey for Using Adobe Experience Manager Core Components .

You can easily understand by watching the videos live in action.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks,

Ratna Kumar.

Level 10

ANother option you can consider to get a new Table component in AEM 6.4 - a valid one - is to use Bootstrap and build a custom HTL component (not a JSP):

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/content/tables/

Look at this article on how we built a custom Banner component using Bootstrap - Scott's Digital Community: Creating an Experience Manager Responsive Banner Component

Level 10

Hi,

Yes I agree with Scott..You can use the valid approach i.e., Using bootstrap and Custom HTL component and don't use JSP..

Also see that HELPX article link shared by Scott..That is very helpful to you!!.

Thanks,

Ratna Kumar.

Level 3

The core components described at GitHub - Adobe-Marketing-Cloud/aem-core-wcm-components: Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) Sites Core Co...  does not contain 'Table' component in there. Can we create table as proxy core component? Please advise. Thank you.