Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Deactivated page is available after package replication

Level 4

Hello, this is the scenario (CQ5.6). Let's say there is the following node /content/geometrixx/articles, with articles inside of it. In author instance I create a package as a backup of that node. Then I deactivate article1 inside of articles, if I try to access the page I get a 404 page, that is fine. However if I build the backup package again and then replicate it, the deactivated page (article1) is available, that is, I do not get the 404 but instead the article.

Is there a way to replicate a package while preserving deactivated pages? That is, how I avoid re-activation?

Version: CQ5.6.0

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Well one way of solving it could be to put on-off time on the page.

So even if the page gets pushed to publisher through activation via package manager, still it will remain unavailable.

Thanks,

Runal

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

It seems you can achieve this via Activation tree available at path [1], See the attached screenshot as well.

[1] http://localhost:4502/etc/replication/treeactivation.html

Thanks

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Well one way of solving it could be to put on-off time on the page.

So even if the page gets pushed to publisher through activation via package manager, still it will remain unavailable.

Thanks,

Runal

Level 4

Thanks all. It is a long story, the off property makes the trick. The thing is how the client setup their release process, they use a package to send content to backup instances, but I guess that in this case, the confusion comes because package replication is not mirroring since replication in the background activates content.

It would be ideal to have similar options like the one for Tree Activation and then move content between instances while preserving active/inactive states using something like: Ignore Deactivated.

Anyways, I will recommend also moving away from package replication for moving content.

Employee

Hi,

as edubey said, you can use tree activation for activating content and ignoring deactivated content. However, you have to activate each content path separately, unlike a package where you can have multiple paths. 

Can I ask why you want to use a package for replication? Mixing replicating content via the replication process and using packages means you lose the ability to  track which pages have been replicated and rollback to a previous version. If you wanted to roll back a page deployed via a package you would have to uninstall the whole package or replicate the page from the author again. With packages and Tree activation, you also don't get the DAM assets that a page uses included in a package. You will have noted when you activate a page, if a DAM asset has not already been published, then the UI will ask if you want to replicate the asset as well.

Using packages is for replication is used for transferring content between different environments or for creating the initial content on your publish instance.

Regards,

Opkar