Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

DAM Assets - how to make request activation workflow available?

Level 4

Hi,

we would like to use AEM OOTB functionality to support a publication workflow.  To achieve this, we have set user group privileges to deny access to all workflow models under /etc/workflow/models - except for request_for_activation (and _deletion and _deactivation).  Great: when authors upload new assets and create new pages that use those assets, they don't get to pick from individual workflows but can instead use the "Request for publication" option in sites to bring up the libs/wcm/core/content/sites/publishpagewizard and launch an activation workflow that way, for the page and each unpublished, referenced asset.

My question is, how do we add to our AEM configuration to allow authors to launch a request publication/activation for individual assets in the DAM - i.e. assets not referenced in a page?  An author can upload an asset, then for that asset in the assetdetails.html/content/dam... editor get to a drop down of available workflows via Timeline > Start Workflow > Select a workflow options.  I can't find the support docs describing how to configure which workflow models are presented to the author there.

Any help much appreciated.        

9 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

In your case you need to implement custom workflow similar like request_for_activatation with additional process step which will check if assets is referenced then only workflow will activate otherwise ends/or can do other task.

Arun Patidar

Level 4

Thanks for your suggestion Arun Patidarbut I explicitly do not want to implement a custom workflow, i want to reuse the OOTB workflows available with AEM.  I just want some advice on how to configure doing that for individual assets

Level 10

Believe Arun is correct - there is no OOTB for this. I am checking with team as well.

Level 2

We are having a similar requirement of "Adding AEM configuration or user permissions to allow authors to launch a request publication/activation for individual assets in the DAM - i.e. assets not referenced in a page?

Arun Patidar

Level 2

When we give user read permission for workflows and add him to workflow-users group without replication permissions, the user was able to see the manage publications button in the action tool bar for sites but not for assets.

1809523_pastedImage_0.png

When we go into manage publication we can see the "Request publication" button which triggers request for activation workflow.

1809545_pastedImage_1.png

When I check manage publications button node structure for assets in crx it has the similar structure to sites manage publication structure. Cant we achieve this for assets ? If this is as expected and corrected am i missing any user permissions ?

Arun Patidar

Community Advisor

Hi,

Assets don't have the manage publication instead it has publish and unpublish options

/libs/dam/gui/content/assets/jcr:content/actions/selection

you can see the publish button in header(or after clicking ...) when you select the asset.

Arun Patidar

Level 2

We do have quick publish and manage publication option for assets also when we have replication permissions (using 6.4)

Community Advisor

yes, you are right. I was checking in AEM 6.3.

I can see the button in assets as well, I am logged in as admin

Arun Patidar

Level 4

smacdonald2008​ this requirement, to have a “request publication“ workflow for individual DAM assets (as there is for pages), feels like it should be a standard OOTB feature. is there a formal way to request this as an enhancement to forthcoming AEM releases?

thanks