Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Customize DAM Assets HTTP API response

Level 4

One of our application user is calling the OOTB Asset HTTP API to get assets but we are noticing that it does not pull all the properties of an asset. Like if we want to see cq:lastReplicationAction for an asset under the jcr:content content node, but it is not included in the response. It includes only self and content nodes with the asset url and with only 3-4 meta data properties like dc:modified, dc:title and dc:description. Whereas asset has lot more metadata and those are not included.

I am wondering if there is a way to customize this API call to add our logic for fetching assets?

Assets HTTP API we are refering to - Assets HTTP API

5 Replies

Level 10

If you need to work with Assets with code - why not use the Strongly typed Asset Manager API: com.day.cq.dam.api.AssetManager 

Level 4

Yes, we could use Asset Manager API and have used it in our project. However that would require us to the development work which we are trying to avoid. The caller application also would require to make the code changes at their side unless we develop the API and generate the response similar to HTTP API (which means more work for us) so that they have to do minimal work.

The whole idea for using Asset HTTP API was so that we don't have to do extra coding and can simply rely on OOTB functionality which has been working for us from long time until this requirement came in where we need to have more data in the API response.

If there could have been customization for Asset HTTP API response (include more meta data fields etc) then it would have been preferable. Is it not possible?

We did create an Adobe daycare ticket for it but they came back saying that this is how OOTB functionality is and they suggested to check in this forum.

Level 10

I find that the Strongly typed API works better to programmatically work with assets. If you want HTTP interaction - look at writing Sling Servlets that use Asset Manager API.

For example - if you use AssetManager API to upload an Asset to the AEM DAM - you will get same renditions as you would if you uploaded using the AEM Admin UI.

Level 4

Thanks. Yes, we have already provided the estimates for custom API using AssetManager API, but because the estimates were high we were exploring the option for customizing the OOTB DAM HTTP API call so that caller will have minimal work at their end.

I guess it is not possible with OOTB HTTP API but if you think otherwise then please let me know.

Level 1

Hi

We are trying to use OOTB http asset API as well, for exposing the assets for some external applications to consume and display asstes in their applications. The problem with this is, they were not able to see any meta data. We have created a read only user for them and they are doing an http call to get the asset details. When I try to do the HTTP call with admin ID, it works fine (renders metadata in the response). But the same is not happening with the read only users. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Note : Seeing the issue only in the publisher instances.

Thanks

Sudharshan