Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.
SOLVED

Custom component with Parsys not working after page save

Level 5

I have a custom component I have created which has a parsys on it.  My component is an extension of the core image component:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<jcr:root xmlns:sling="http://sling.apache.org/jcr/sling/1.0" xmlns:cq="http://www.day.com/jcr/cq/1.0" xmlns:jcr="http://www.jcp.org/jcr/1.0"
    cq:icon="image"
    cq:isContainer="{Boolean}true"
    jcr:description="Full Width Hero featuring a Smart Adaptive Image"
    jcr:primaryType="cq:Component"
    jcr:title="Full Width Hero"
    sling:resourceSuperType="core/wcm/components/image/v3/image"
    componentGroup="MyApp - Content"/>

And in the HTML for the component, I have:

<sly ...>
  <!-- other markup as necessary -->

<sly data-sly-resource="${resource.path @ resourceType='foundation/components/parsys/new', appendPath='/*', decorationTagName='div', cssClassName='new section aem-Grid-newComponent'}"
        data-sly-test="${(wcmmode.edit || wcmmode.preview)}"></sly>

<!-- other markup as necessary -->
</sly>

Within the policy for the component, I added:

<allowedcomponents
                        jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"
                        jcr:title="Allowed Components"
                        sling:resourceType="granite/ui/components/coral/foundation/container"
                        margin="{Boolean}true">
                        <items jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured">
                            <components
                                jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"
                                sling:resourceType="cq/gui/components/authoring/allowedcomponents"
                                name="./components"/>
                        </items>
                    </allowedcomponents>

And everything works fine up until this point.  I have configured the policy and it works, and the component renders correctly.  When I create an instance of this component, I can see the placeholder to insert the necessary child components (in this case, I am allowing different types of buttons within a custom Hero component).

When the page is saved or changed, however, these nested components "disappear".

With the component on the page:

dylanmccurrymsft_0-1669059087582.png

I can then add a Button component to this parsys:

dylanmccurrymsft_1-1669059181462.png

However, when the page is refreshed (adding a style somewhere, viewing as published, changing properties, whatever), the component disappears:

dylanmccurrymsft_2-1669059269526.png

However, it is visible in the JCR:

dylanmccurrymsft_3-1669059532143.png

What am I missing?  How can I get a custom parsys on a component which allows me to nest child components?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @dylanmccurry,

<sly data-sly-resource="${'parsys' @ resourceType='wcm/foundation/components/responsivegrid'}"></sly>

Please check above where name of the parsys should have the same name as in JCR - in your case resource.path is dynamically rendering and that is an absolute path. You can try display it ${resource.path} and see what it is to understand yourself hence it is working with `@path`

data-sly-resource: Includes the result of rendering the indicated resource through the sling resolution and rendering process.

A simple resource include: 

<article data-sly-resource="path/to/resource"></article>

Code samples are intended for illustration purposes only.

Manipulating the path of the resource:

<article data-sly-resource="${ @ path='path/to/resource'}"></article>
<article data-sly-resource="${'resource' @ prependPath='my/path'}"></article>
<article data-sly-resource="${'my/path' @ appendPath='resource'}"></article>​

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Santosh

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 5

Noticing that this appears to work correctly...

<div data-sly-resource="${ @path=resource.path, resourceType='foundation/components/parsys', decorationTagName='div', cssClassName='new section aem-Grid-newComponent'}"></div>

Is there official documentation on the subject of parsys and how to incorporate them into custom components?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @dylanmccurry,

<sly data-sly-resource="${'parsys' @ resourceType='wcm/foundation/components/responsivegrid'}"></sly>

Please check above where name of the parsys should have the same name as in JCR - in your case resource.path is dynamically rendering and that is an absolute path. You can try display it ${resource.path} and see what it is to understand yourself hence it is working with `@path`

data-sly-resource: Includes the result of rendering the indicated resource through the sling resolution and rendering process.

A simple resource include: 

<article data-sly-resource="path/to/resource"></article>

Code samples are intended for illustration purposes only.

Manipulating the path of the resource:

<article data-sly-resource="${ @ path='path/to/resource'}"></article>
<article data-sly-resource="${'resource' @ prependPath='my/path'}"></article>
<article data-sly-resource="${'my/path' @ appendPath='resource'}"></article>​

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Santosh