Expand my Community achievements bar.

Custom AEM Grid classes

Level 1

Is it possible to modify or customize the aem grid classes that are printed on the component tag? We use a different grid system but would like to use the layout feature in the editor for the easy configuration of columns.

The current output would be:

component-name parbase aem-GridColumn--default--none aem-GridColumn aem-GridColumn--default--4 aem-GridColumn--phone--12

In my case I want to modify the output to be:

component-name parbase grid-4 grid-mobile-12

Is there any way to overlay or configure this functionality?

PS: We are using AEM 6.3

7 Replies

Level 10

You can override most AEM components. There should be no reason why this would be any different. We have an article on building a custom grid component. However - its for use on a page to hold other components - not for tags. I am not completely sure what you mean by holding tags.

I assume you want to change something in the AEM UI as opposed to a component for use in an AEM site.

Level 1

We currently have an implementation of such a component where columns are defined and components dragged into them.

I wish to avoid that approach as it comes with a lot of overhead responsive-wise for the authors.

I am using the aem grid now but leveraging the layout section of the editor which works great. I wish to however change the output css classes without rewriting the aem code that reads the cq:responsive node under the component. For that I am wondering if these css class outputs can be configured somehow.

Right now I am using a work around in scss where I extend the css classes aem outputs from the css grid we are using in our project.

It would be cleaner if I can just make it output the correct css classes though.

As far as I can tell the css classes are generated in a java class and printed using the following file on line 10

/libs/wcm/foundation/components/responsivegrid/responsivegrid.html

<div data-sly-use.api="com.day.cq.wcm.foundation.model.responsivegrid.ResponsiveGrid"

data-sly-use.allowed="com.day.cq.wcm.foundation.AllowedComponentList"

class="${api.cssClass} ${allowed.cssClass}">

<sly data-sly-test.isAllowedApplicable="${allowed.isApplicable}"

data-sly-test="${isAllowedApplicable}"

data-sly-use.allowedTemplate="/libs/wcm/foundation/components/parsys/allowedcomponents/allowedcomponents-tpl.html"

data-sly-call="${allowedTemplate.allowedcomponents @ title=allowed.title, components=allowed.components}"></sly>

<sly data-sly-test="${!isAllowedApplicable}"

data-sly-repeat.child="${api.paragraphs}"

data-sly-resource="${child.path @ resourceType=child.resourceType, decoration='true', cssClassName=child.cssClass}"></sly>

<sly data-sly-test="${!isAllowedApplicable && wcmmode.edit}"

data-sly-resource="${resource.path @ resourceType='wcm/foundation/components/responsivegrid/new', appendPath='/*', decorationTagName='div', cssClassName='new section aem-Grid-newComponent'}" />

</div>

Level 10

I have not done that - if other have - please provide a comment.

Level 1

Were you able to find a solution for this?

Thanks

Level 1

This is what renders the classes on the .aem-Grid, not the parent component tag 2 levels up with .aem-GridColumn. I'm still looking for how to customize that part unfortunately.