Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

CRX v/s CRXDE v/s CRDE Lite

Level 8

Can someone tell me the difference between CRX, CRXDE, CRXDE Lite?

As per documentation: CRXDE Lite is part of the AEM quickstart and is available to you to access and modify the repository in your local development environments within the browser.

cc @aanchal-sikka  @arunpatidar  @Imran__Khan  @SureshDhulipudi 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Mahesh_Gunaje 

CRX, CRXDE, and CRXDE Lite are all related to the Content Repository for Java Technology API (JCR) used by Adobe Experience Manager (AEM).

1. CRX: CRX is the underlying content repository used by AEM. It is a Java-based implementation of the JCR specification and provides a hierarchical data store for content and digital assets. CRX is responsible for storing and managing all content in AEM.

2. CRXDE: CRXDE (Content Repository for Java Technology API Development Environment) is an Eclipse-based integrated development environment (IDE) that allows developers to create, edit, and debug Java code that interacts with the CRX repository. It provides a set of tools for working with JCR content, including a code editor, a content browser, and a debugger.

3. CRXDE Lite: CRXDE Lite is a web-based IDE that is included with the AEM quickstart package. It provides a simplified interface for developers to access and modify the repository in their local development environments within the browser. CRXDE Lite includes a code editor, a content browser, and a package manager.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/implementing/dev... 
https://aem-development.com/knowledge-base/what-is-crx-in-aem/#:~:text=CRX%20in%20Adobe%20Experience...

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 3

Hi @Mahesh_Gunaje 

CRX - Content Repository Extreme

Is a high-performance, extensible content repository that forms the foundation for storing, managing, and accessing content within AEM. Is based on JCR.

CRXDE/CRXDE Lite - Content Repository Extreme Development Environment (Lite)

Is basically a UI you can use as a developer to update the JCR Nodes and properties. I don't think there is a real difference between CRXDE or CRXDE Lite, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Greetings

Rik

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @Mahesh_Gunaje 

CRX, CRXDE, and CRXDE Lite are all related to the Content Repository for Java Technology API (JCR) used by Adobe Experience Manager (AEM).

1. CRX: CRX is the underlying content repository used by AEM. It is a Java-based implementation of the JCR specification and provides a hierarchical data store for content and digital assets. CRX is responsible for storing and managing all content in AEM.

2. CRXDE: CRXDE (Content Repository for Java Technology API Development Environment) is an Eclipse-based integrated development environment (IDE) that allows developers to create, edit, and debug Java code that interacts with the CRX repository. It provides a set of tools for working with JCR content, including a code editor, a content browser, and a debugger.

3. CRXDE Lite: CRXDE Lite is a web-based IDE that is included with the AEM quickstart package. It provides a simplified interface for developers to access and modify the repository in their local development environments within the browser. CRXDE Lite includes a code editor, a content browser, and a package manager.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/implementing/dev... 
https://aem-development.com/knowledge-base/what-is-crx-in-aem/#:~:text=CRX%20in%20Adobe%20Experience...

Level 8

Hi @Raja_Reddy 

Thanks for the insight.

Few queries.

2. CRXDE: CRXDE (Content Repository for Java Technology API Development Environment) is an Eclipse-based IDE. Is there any link for this? wanted to explore a bit.

CRX v/s Apache Jackrabbit Oak: I think CRX is the JCR implementation used by AEM 6.2(and prior version), where as Apache Jackrabbit Oak is the one used as JCR implementor, used by AEM 6.4( plus newer version).  Please correct my statement

Community Advisor

Hi @Mahesh_Gunaje 

1. Your statement is partially correct. CRX is the content repository used by AEM 6.2 and prior versions, and it is based on the Apache Jackrabbit 2.x implementation of the JCR specification. Apache Jackrabbit Oak is the content repository used by AEM 6.4 and later versions, and it is based on the Apache Jackrabbit Oak implementation of the JCR specification. Oak is designed to be more scalable and performant than Jackrabbit 2.x, and it includes several new features and improvements over the older implementation. 

Community Advisor

Hi, 

Here are my 2 cents, usually, those terms are used interchangeably in a regular technical conversation, although they may have specific meanings as it was well explained by others. Typically, people refer to the same tool through which they can access the JCR, you can see how these terms became popular as I highlighted in the below image.

EstebanBustamante_0-1713446299298.png

Hope this helps

Esteban Bustamante

Community Advisor

Hi @Mahesh_Gunaje ,

Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Thanks,

Sudheer.