Expand my Community achievements bar.

CRX DE driven development | AEM Community Blog Seeding

Administrator

BlogImage.jpg

CRX DE driven development by Jörg Hoh

Abstract

A recurring problem I see in AEM project implementations is the problem of missing abstraction. A lot of code deals passes around resources, ValueMaps and even Strings (paths). And because we are supposed to build software the proper way, the called method checks (or more often: not checks) that the provided resource parameter is not null, and that the resource is of the correct type.

But instead of dealing with resources, the class names and comments suggest that the code actually dealing with products. Or website structures. Or assets. But instead of using a “product” classes (or website class, or the provided asset class) still resources are used. The abstraction is missing!

For me the root cause of this problem is the CRXDE Lite. Exactly that thing which you can open on your local AEM instance at /crx/de/. Because it shows you a very nice hierarchical view to the repository, it shows you paths, and properties. And if a developer starts to build a mental model of something, this tool comes in quite handy. Because you can reach everything via path, which is a String! So instead of expressing relations between concepts I see often this:

String path = …
String pathResource = resourceResolver.getResource(path);

Read Full Blog

CRX DE driven development

Q&A

Please use this thread to ask the related questions.

Kautuk Sahni
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

0 Replies